Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admitted Students Weekend  (Read 842 times)

kenny32

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're sorry I'm sorry Everybody's sorry
    • View Profile
Admitted Students Weekend
« on: December 06, 2006, 11:13:23 PM »
Can someone explain what goes on at one? Is it for a day, or the whole weekend? Do you go alone? Really, any info would be appreciated!
Narrator: You had to give it to him: he had a plan. And it started to make sense, in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

Tyler Durden: Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Re: Admitted Students Weekend
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 06:11:59 PM »
Can someone explain what goes on at one? Is it for a day, or the whole weekend? Do you go alone? Really, any info would be appreciated!

Just an example: http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admissions/admitted/student_days.cfm

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 07:28:33 PM »
It depends on the school. Some are a whole weekend, while others are just a Friday. Some schools will offer student hosts who will put you up, while others will expect you to pay for accommodations. For the former, I'd say it's expected that you come alone or with a spouse, while for the latter, it's probably acceptable to bring along a parent/relative.

kenny32

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're sorry I'm sorry Everybody's sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 09:54:34 PM »
Thanks for the info!
Narrator: You had to give it to him: he had a plan. And it started to make sense, in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

Tyler Durden: Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 09:57:23 PM »
Your school should send out a packet of info if you decide to go.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

daydreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 09:49:54 AM »
It depends on the school. Some are a whole weekend, while others are just a Friday. Some schools will offer student hosts who will put you up, while others will expect you to pay for accommodations. For the former, I'd say it's expected that you come alone or with a spouse, while for the latter, it's probably acceptable to bring along a parent/relative.

wait, some of them seriously pay for your accommodations?  what about travel expenses?

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 10:11:52 AM »

wait, some of them seriously pay for your accommodations?  what about travel expenses?

Usually if a school puts you up, it has student hosts for the weekend and isn't paying for a hotel. The only schools I've heard of that pay for people to come visit are in California (Pepperdine and Boalt), although many will allow people to fill out financial need forms and they may grant you some funds to come visit.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 02:24:53 PM »

A decent number of schools pay for travel expenses, up to a certain dollar amount.  I remember Chicago, Penn, and Columbia offering.  I think the limits were in the vicinity of $200.  Not necessarily enough to cover 100% of the cost, but certainly defrays a huge chunk of it.