Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why don't blacks work harder in UG and on the LSAT so we can get rid of AA?  (Read 24005 times)

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
In my opinion, there are many blacks who do well and succeed in undergrad and graduate school. But the key with AA is that you have to be QUALIFIED. So the minorities and women who are getting hired are indeed qualified

If AA wasnt in place, then i think many qualified minorities and women wouldnt get a fair shot in grad schools, jobs, etc

I wish people would stop thinking that schools and companies have to hire minorities with mediocre GPA's and qualifications. You do have to be Qualified

dontknowwheretogo

• View Profile
How can you asssert that they have to be qualified?  The bar is essentially "lowered" for URMs so that they can be considered qualified.  Does AA really hurt or help minorities?  In Undergrad, URMs are admitted with far lower SAT/class rank...this possibly leads to lower College performance relative to peers (assuming that SAT class rank is a predictor of college performance)...and the cycle continues into Grad School. 

I think if the Bar wasn't lowered, I think URMs may naturally get admitted to elite schools anyways, because they would adapt and raise their qualifications - after all, there are plenty of brilliant URMs out there, but why study harder for a standardized test when you reach a point where 170 basically = 180 for you?  I know I wouldn't!

Slim

• Sr. Citizen
  • ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
It seems like the obvious solution.
This is a flame... OP's a flamer...
Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson.

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
How can you asssert that they have to be qualified?  The bar is essentially "lowered" for URMs so that they can be considered qualified.  Does AA really hurt or help minorities?  In Undergrad, URMs are admitted with far lower SAT/class rank...this possibly leads to lower College performance relative to peers (assuming that SAT class rank is a predictor of college performance)...and the cycle continues into Grad School. 

I think if the Bar wasn't lowered, I think URMs may naturally get admitted to elite schools anyways, because they would adapt and raise their qualifications - after all, there are plenty of brilliant URMs out there, but why study harder for a standardized test when you reach a point where 170 basically = 180 for you?  I know I wouldn't!

I am black and will ride my URM status with PRIDE AND HONOR to the very end! Those of you who have a problem with AA need to GO BACK IN TIME AND CHANGE A FEW THINGS. Do that and perhaps I'll entertain your narcissism and endless cant.

I did fairly OK on my SATs (1300 and sumthin), but I met several ppl freshman year in undergrad who scored 1500+. It didn't phase me, because I knew standardized tests were JUST standardized tests. Besides, I outperformed them in ALL the classes we took together!   You know why? I was QUALIFIED, and the adcomms knew it.

In my opinion, anyone who thinks standardized tests are accurate AND absolute indicators of academic ability is severely misguided.
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
FLAME
Come on guys, leave it alone...it's a flame
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

ColdBlue

• View Profile
Working hard and doing well on the LSAT would require actual work, that's why. In a society of handouts, hard work is not required.

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Working hard and doing well on the LSAT would require actual work, that's why. In a society of handouts, hard work is not required.

In a society of soundbites, talking points, and canned rhetoric, thinking is not required. htfh
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

blondngreen

• View Profile

I am black and will ride my URM status with PRIDE AND HONOR to the very end! Those of you who have a problem with AA need to GO BACK IN TIME AND CHANGE A FEW THINGS. Do that and perhaps I'll entertain your narcissism and endless cant.

I did fairly OK on my SATs (1300 and sumthin), but I met several ppl freshman year in undergrad who scored 1500+. It didn't phase me, because I knew standardized tests were JUST standardized tests. Besides, I outperformed them in ALL the classes we took together!   You know why? I was QUALIFIED, and the adcomms knew it.

In my opinion, anyone who thinks standardized tests are accurate AND absolute indicators of academic ability is severely misguided.

You're a great example of why I personally despise AA.  You think it's fair that you be judged by different standards.  Most law schools see the LSAT as the main predictor of how well you will do.  Adcomms aren't looking at your application and saying he's QUALIFIED, they're looking at your application and saying, he's black, let him in. 

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email

I did fairly OK on my SATs (1300 and sumthin), but I met several ppl freshman year in undergrad who scored 1500+. It didn't phase me, because I knew standardized tests were JUST standardized tests. Besides, I outperformed them in ALL the classes we took together!   You know why? I was QUALIFIED, and the adcomms knew it.

You're a great example of why I personally despise AA.  You think it's fair that you be judged by different standards.  Most law schools see the LSAT as the main predictor of how well you will do.  Adcomms aren't looking at your application and saying he's QUALIFIED, they're looking at your application and saying, he's black, let him in. 

Your PREJUDICED opinion means NOTHING to me. Hopeless bigots like you AMUSE me  ::).

I was one of only 4 students to obtain a perfect score on a research paper for a poli sci class of 80 students, with only 5 blk students.  So when I say I am QUALIFIED to attend the best of law schools, please realize I do not speak idly. I've got the smarts--AND THE SKIN--to back it up!
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

ColdBlue

• View Profile
Your PREJUDICED opinion means NOTHING to me. Hopeless bigots like you AMUSE me  ::).

I was one of only 4 students to obtain a perfect score on a research paper for a poli sci class of 80 students, with only 5 blk students.  So when I say I am QUALIFIED to attend the best of law schools, please realize I do not speak idly. I've got the smarts--AND THE SKIN--to back it up!

Wow, if you could get a perfect score in some chump poli sci class then maybe you could of done that on the LSAT. Oh wait, why bother with affirmative action.