Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why don't blacks work harder in UG and on the LSAT so we can get rid of AA?  (Read 26853 times)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: Why don't blacks work harder in UG and on the LSAT so we can get rid of AA?
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 01:37:50 PM »
Flame.  Don't feed the trolls.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Beauchamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 01:40:13 PM »
I'm scratching my head at this thread on so many levels...

is this to imply that blacks (and not white women) are the largest beneficiaries of affirmative action?

is this to imply that blacks choose not to earn high GPA's and LSAT scores when its simply within their ability all along?

As I thought would be clear from my mention of the LSAT, I'm talking about law school admissions.  White women don't receive AA for law school admissions.

Earning a high UG GPA and LSAT score is largely just about working hard, so yes, it is within most everyone's ability.  It requires spending many nights with text books instead of friends, but most anyone can do it.

I don't understand why anyone, once admitted to a good undergraduate school, can't work hard and get good grades.

guyminuslife

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fascism -- @#!* Yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 05:00:26 PM »
is this to imply that blacks (and not white women) are the largest beneficiaries of affirmative action?

It's a flame, but aren't white women an ORM, at least as far as education is concerned?

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 05:30:48 PM »

This is quite possibly the FUNNIEST picture I have ever seen. The look in that poor little dog's eyes...:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D For the last 10 minutes I've been walking around my office laughing.

Seriously tho, what does "STFU" mean?
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 05:49:24 PM »
I'm scratching my head at this thread on so many levels...

is this to imply that blacks choose not to earn high GPA's and LSAT scores when its simply within their ability all along?

As I thought would be clear from my mention of the LSAT, I'm talking about law school admissions.  White women don't receive AA for law school admissions.

Earning a high UG GPA and LSAT score is largely just about working hard, so yes, it is within most everyone's ability.  It requires spending many nights with text books instead of friends, but most anyone can do it.

I don't understand why anyone, once admitted to a good undergraduate school, can't work hard and get good grades.

The problem isn't just about working hard, it's about preparation before college as well. No matter how brilliant a student is, without the preparation, it's going to be hard for a kid who has had no access to AP or other college-prep/college-level classes in high school to catch up with a kid who has spent his whole lifetime in prep school and has been preparing for college since birth, almost.

I don't know why I'm feeding this troll- the urge to procrastinate is too strong.

Beauchamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 11:43:58 AM »

The problem isn't just about working hard, it's about preparation before college as well. No matter how brilliant a student is, without the preparation, it's going to be hard for a kid who has had no access to AP or other college-prep/college-level classes in high school to catch up with a kid who has spent his whole lifetime in prep school and has been preparing for college since birth, almost.

I don't know why I'm feeding this troll- the urge to procrastinate is too strong.

The may be true at a handful of top schools, but lots of kids don't take any AP or college-prep classes in high school.  I didn't, and I graduated magna with two relatively difficult majors. 

I simply believe that the vast majority of people can do well in college if they actually spend a decent amount of time studying (and I don't mean cramming right before exams).  I'm deeply skeptical that many people who do poorly in college cared about doing well all that much or really put the time in.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »
Good question. What incentive do some of them have to do so though when they have AA?

It's clearly not a question of genetics because there are plenty of brilliant African-Americans out there who worked their ass off to get where they are. Everyone wants a handout.

And it's not a question of poverty because Asian-American students in poverty do better on math tests than some of their richer white counterparts. It's a question of effort, and decades of affirmative action have ruined the drive to succeed in African-American communities.

I am referencing this post for all future threads in which you try to weasel your way out of admitting you're a raging ignoramus (at best -- at worst, you're a raging racist).

[JTG]
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

LickandStick

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 04:12:49 PM »
It seems like the obvious solution.

Why don't whites work harder in UG and on the LSAT so they don't need to female dog and moan about the coloreds stealing their spots?

Here's a thought: if you're white, and you want to go to Harvard, get a 3.8/175.  FFS, all you need for Cornell or Duke is a solid GPA and a 167, maybe even less.

I'll cry a river for rich white fratboys who goof their way through college when they stop being privileged slackers.

And I'm white, male, slacked my way through college, didn't adequately prepare for the LSAT, and paid the price wrt where I was offered admission.  I don't have much sympathy for the cause.

Some of us had to pay our way through school too, I can't speak for rich white frat boys as I had no money and no time for ECs, but I did the best with what I had.  If they're handing out admission letters to people with my numbers, I want one too.  That's all.

Also, I don't think it's accepted to refer to Native Americans, African-Americans and Latinos as "coloreds"

Beauchamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 06:27:36 PM »

Why don't whites work harder in UG and on the LSAT so they don't need to female dog and moan about the coloreds stealing their spots?

Here's a thought: if you're white, and you want to go to Harvard, get a 3.8/175.  FFS, all you need for Cornell or Duke is a solid GPA and a 167, maybe even less.

I'll cry a river for rich white fratboys who goof their way through college when they stop being privileged slackers.

And I'm white, male, slacked my way through college, didn't adequately prepare for the LSAT, and paid the price wrt where I was offered admission.  I don't have much sympathy for the cause.

I don't think anyone wants white, privileged slackers to get preferential treatment in admission to law school, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up. 

I agree that white people who want to go to Harvard law should work hard and get a 3.8/175.  In fact, I think everyone who wants to go to Harvard law should work hard and get a 3.8/175.  I don't think Harvard should admit any slackers at all!

guyminuslife

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fascism -- @#!* Yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 06:30:38 PM »
I don't think anyone wants white, privileged slackers to get preferential treatment in admission to law school, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up. 

I agree that white people who want to go to Harvard law should work hard and get a 3.8/175.  In fact, I think everyone who wants to go to Harvard law should work hard and get a 3.8/175.  I don't think Harvard should admit any slackers at all!

As a white, privileged slacker, I demand preferential treatment! Or else I'll, you know, whatever.

Also, could we get a moderator to chill this flaming thread?