Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why don't blacks work harder in UG and on the LSAT so we can get rid of AA?  (Read 26662 times)

Beauchamp

• View Profile
    • Email
It seems like the obvious solution.

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Good question. What incentive do some of them have to do so though when they have AA?

It's clearly not a question of genetics because there are plenty of brilliant African-Americans out there who worked their ass off to get where they are. Everyone wants a handout.

And it's not a question of poverty because Asian-American students in poverty do better on math tests than some of their richer white counterparts. It's a question of effort, and decades of affirmative action have ruined the drive to succeed in African-American communities.

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
And yet "obvious" never seems to work out...

Without referencing any stats, I'd be willing to be that it's not that blacks aren't working hard enough in UG, but rather much like the "girls and science & math" campaigns that were big in the 90's, that there's not a big enough push, presence, whatever, to encourage all minority kids to work hard towards a professional degree, starting by pushing them and motivating them in middle school & high school to go to UG in the first place.

I would bet that you're wrong. How else can you explain the fact that the average black GPA is so much lower than the average white/asian gpa? Even at the same universities.

Beauchamp

• View Profile
    • Email
I would bet that you're wrong. How else can you explain the fact that the average black GPA is so much lower than the average white/asian gpa? Even at the same universities.

This is what I'm talking about.  If somebody can't get into college at all, that's a problem, but it's a topic for a different discussion.

In my experience, getting a high GPA in college is mostly about hard work.  If someone has a low GPA, I don't assume they're dumb--I assume they didn't work very hard.  The LSAT is not much different.  My initial scores were pretty bad, but I spent months working on the test and managed a decent score.

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Hmm, Beauchamp, I wonder what their[race-based AA supporters] proposed solution is for the low GPA and inability to find jobs with the 2.2's, etc. OH, wait, I know. Affirmative action in the workplace. We already have that and it's a resounding success.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
good argument.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
I'm scratching my head at this thread on so many levels...

is this to imply that blacks (and not white women) are the largest beneficiaries of affirmative action?

is this to imply that blacks choose not to earn high GPA's and LSAT scores when its simply within their ability all along?

is this to imply that latino's don't factor into the equation?

is this a discussion of affirmative action or of black high school student performance?

is this simply just a flame?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

is this to imply that blacks choose not to earn high GPA's and LSAT scores when its simply within their ability all along?

If you don't believe that then do you believe that they're just inherently dumber? I doubt it. It's clearly an environmental and effort issue, specifically.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile

I was kind of hoping to see the "O Really" pic .  I'm a little disappointed,lacoste  :D ;) :) 

I'm scratching my head at this thread on so many levels...

is this simply just a flame?

well it does seem odd to be placed here rather than on the AA board
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King