Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why don't blacks work harder in UG and on the LSAT so we can get rid of AA?  (Read 25718 times)

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
So underqualified for Harvard = dead patients. Thanks.

Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

PNym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

pls review the tj's and my comments in the last few posts, then respond.  ty.

I addressed tj's concerns in a more recent post.

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Remind me again of the link between a medical student being qualified enough to be admitted into Harvard, even with the help of affirmative action, and being underqualified to practice medicine (assuming he graduated).

I do remember Sowell saying that he heard from friends within Harvard's administration and professorate that HMS had a policy of never failing black students. Combine that policy with a policy of admitting black students who don't mean normal HMS admissions standards and you have the makings of underqualified graduates.

Also, it seems to me that if affirmative action were removed this student would still have most likely been admitted to at least a reputable state medical school, and again assuming he graduated, would still be practicing medicine. So are you insinuating that Harvard graduated him when they shouldn't have? Or that difference in medical education between Harvard and State U results in more doctor-caused deaths (since Black Doctor was probably qualified to attend State U, but not Harvard)?

Well, if the doctor in this case hadn't attended HMS, but had attended a state school, he might have been learning medicine at a pace and depth for which he was more suited (a friend of mine at HMS says the pace is ridiculously frenetic, so you have to be on your toes if you want to learn it all). If he had been learning medicine at a slower pace and in less depth in a state school than what he would have been expected to learn at Harvard, it's possible that the doctor in this case would have learned more, rather than less, reducing the chance that he would screw up.

Furthermore, the doctor might not have been performing the surgery in which he screwed up. He may have gone into radiology or anesthesiology instead, which would have benefitted the hapless patient in this case.

Are you really going to stand by this rationalization...? Really...!?!

:D :D :D

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
So underqualified for Harvard = dead patients. Thanks.

I've been on this board for over 3 years now. This is a top 10 post of all time. Immediate classic.
YLS c/o 2009

PNym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

I do remember Sowell saying that he heard from friends within Harvard's administration and professorate that HMS had a policy of never failing black students. Combine that policy with a policy of admitting black students who don't mean normal HMS admissions standards and you have the makings of underqualified graduates.

I know for a fact that at least one medical school other than Harvard has a policy of not failing students if at all possible, regardless of their race.  My understanding is that such policies are quite common.

keep trying.

Well, then that policy is flawed as well. A medical school that passes underqualified doctors doesn't do much to safeguard the safety of the patients who will later be seeing those doctors. \

Your objection doesn't really address why I think AA is flawed, unless you argue that flawed policies in other institutions justifies the flawed policy that is AA, which would be conceding that AA is flawed.

PNym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Remind me again of the link between a medical student being qualified enough to be admitted into Harvard, even with the help of affirmative action, and being underqualified to practice medicine (assuming he graduated).

Also, it seems to me that if affirmative action were removed this student would still have most likely been admitted to at least a reputable state medical school, and again assuming he graduated, would still be practicing medicine. So are you insinuating that Harvard graduated him when they shouldn't have? Or that difference in medical education between Harvard and State U results in more doctor-caused deaths (since Black Doctor was probably qualified to attend State U, but not Harvard)?

Well, if the doctor in this case hadn't attended HMS, but had attended a state school, he might have been learning medicine at a pace and depth for which he was more suited (a friend of mine at HMS says the pace is ridiculously frenetic, so you have to be on your toes if you want to learn it all). If he had been learning medicine at a slower pace and in less depth in a state school than what he would have been expected to learn at Harvard, it's possible that the doctor in this case would have learned more, rather than less, reducing the chance that he would screw up.

Furthermore, the doctor might not have been performing the surgery in which he screwed up. He may have gone into radiology or anesthesiology instead, which would have benefitted the hapless patient in this case.

Are you really going to stand by this rationalization...? Really...!?!

:D :D :D

Are you going to address why my argument is flawed rather than glibly insinuate that it is without explaining why? Or do you presume that your insinuation is sufficient to address why the argument is flawed? If so, why should anyone trust your insinuation?

PNym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Well, then that policy is flawed as well. A medical school that passes underqualified doctors doesn't do much to safeguard the safety of the patients who will later be seeing those doctors. \

Your objection doesn't really address why I think AA is flawed, unless you argue that flawed policies in other institutions justifies the flawed policy that is AA, which would be conceding that AA is flawed.

Put down the LSAT books and think.   ;)

Well, I don't see the argument. Can you explain it?

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Are you going to address why my argument is flawed rather than glibly insinuate that it is without explaining why? Or do you presume that your insinuation is sufficient to address why the argument is flawed? If so, why should anyone trust your insinuation?

I'm just confident enough to assume that everyone else but you sees why your rationalization is flawed, and that it would be beneficial for you to figure it out on your own.

Though that might be too much work for you to figure it out on your own at this level. I can help you if you really, really need me to. I wouldn't want any dead patients because of the rigor and all.

PNym

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

I'm just confident enough to assume that everyone else but you sees why your rationalization is flawed, and that it would be beneficial for you to figure it out on your own.

Though that might be too much work for you to figure it out on your own at this level. I can help you if you really, really need me to. I wouldn't want any dead patients because of the rigor and all.

Go for it. Explain. FWIW, I don't want to see any dead patients, either.

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
To begin with, examine the number of assumptions you've made, and then work through them.