Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Marriage  (Read 9059 times)

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Marriage
« on: December 06, 2006, 09:36:49 PM »
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
Re: Marriage
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 09:40:21 PM »
I hope I get married. Getting married and having children are the top two things on my 'to do' list.

I think the laws are fine the way they are.
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

h2xblive

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 09:41:41 PM »
Do you think you'll get married? Do you believe in marriage as an institution? How do you think the laws surrounding marriage should change, if you think they should? Are you already married? Any insight into why you think it's a good or a bad thing?

And.... let's see how fast this thread dies.... I give it ten minutes to drop off of the top 200. I never know how to start a thread that people actually want to hang out in....

Dedicated to one Miss P  ;)

Marriage is an outdated institution that serves no practial purpose anymore except to save money.  I might get married, but not for another 10-20 years (at least that's the plan).

The laws surrounding marriage should change to allow same sex marriage and give no tax breaks for married couples.

h2xblive

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 09:54:06 PM »
I'd like to one day.

Define 'institution'.

I think I mean the legal and cultural uses and definitions of marriage, if that isn't hopelessly vaguely all-inclusive.

Anyone feel like it's not "right" to get married as long as there is discrimination about who can marry that benefits some people over others?

I'm not sure about these things for myself. That's why I'm asking.

Partially.  One reason I wear a wedding ring is to "protest" marriage as an unfair "institution."

goosenesque

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 09:55:55 PM »
I think I will be married right after finishing law school (assuming my current girlfriend hangs in there with me while I turn in to a grouch from all the studying), but I think as an institution it's relatively pointless.  If two people are in love, they should move in, start a family, and share a life together. There is no point in a "formal" ceremony just to show off what they have.  I understand that it's special, but there a lot of things in life that are special that we don't fork over thousands of bucks to celebrate over.  

How should law around marriage change?  Homosexuals should be allowed to marry.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 09:57:55 PM »
I don't expect to get married, and I don't really believe in it.That being said, I'm not so principally against it that I would flat out refuse if the proverbial Mrs Right insisted. I'm not religious, and at the end of the day marriage feels like a religions ritual to me. Sure you can do it secular, but then it's just a contract telling you to love each other forever. Nope, not really a big fan.

I'd marry recruiting partner at Wachtell though, regardless of gender.

h2xblive

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 09:58:12 PM »
I'd like to one day.

Define 'institution'.

I think I mean the legal and cultural uses and definitions of marriage, if that isn't hopelessly vaguely all-inclusive.

Anyone feel like it's not "right" to get married as long as there is discrimination about who can marry that benefits some people over others?

I'm not sure about these things for myself. That's why I'm asking.

Partially.  One reason I wear a wedding ring is to "protest" marriage as an unfair "institution."

Hmmm. Are you mocking me? I feel like you are. That's okay.

And blue, sorry, I should have just bumped your thread! N00bie error....

No, I'm not mocking you at all.

goosenesque

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 09:59:34 PM »
I don't expect to get married, and I don't really believe in it.That being said, I'm not so principally against it that I would flat out refuse if the proverbial Mrs Right insisted. I'm not religious, and at the end of the day marriage feels like a religions ritual to me. Sure you can do it secular, but then it's just a contract telling you to love each other forever. Nope, not really a big fan.

I'd marry recruiting partner at Wachtell though, regardless of gender.

This pretty much sums up how I feel.  I'm semi-sure Mrs. Right has come in to my life, so I will probably give in to her demands if she lasts through law school.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 10:00:53 PM »
Hehe, she might be worth keeping if she hangs around that long :)

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 10:03:29 PM »
I want to get married.  I'm pretty traditional, and I like sleeping in the same bed as someone other than my cat.  That's all.