Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn St vs. Syracuse  (Read 658 times)

AbeGarb

• I've heard good things about Nantucket Law...
    • View Profile
Penn St vs. Syracuse
« on: December 06, 2006, 03:38:20 PM »
anyone know about these schools or go to one of them currently?  i need help ranking them. thanks
Waiting on LSAT

LT_Eagels_1

Re: Penn St vs. Syracuse
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 05:39:46 PM »
It's hard to say, they're both have similar rankings.

But from a geographic standpoint, I would give the edge to Syracuse simply because their alumni base is huge and many are from the NYC area.  If you want to do law, NYC ain't a bad place to practice.  But in NYC, you're competing with the T14 students and the local NYC schools, so I'm not sure how well Syracuse grads do in NYC.  Agian, I would suspect that the Syracuse grad would do a little better than the Penn State grad if you want to practice in NY.  Vice versa if you wanted to practice in Philly.  Good luck!

Snizzle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 06:21:59 PM »
if you like football go to penn state... if your more of hoops fan 'cuse is the way to go.
friends: barry $$
refuse to take sides: wnec, widener, fla coastal, st. tom
foes: hofstra, ny, nku, wvu, vt
mia: cuny, u balt, nccu, rwu, touro, jm-atl

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 09:19:16 PM »
Syracuse ... is ... cold.

Syracuse puts 32% in NYC.  Penn St. has very little placement info on its site, and nothing regarding money ... lame.  But I would think that they would do well in philly ... there are fewer T1 schools to go up against.

One thing that would give an edge would be if you are interested in government/ public policy ... the Maxwell school at Syracuse is great.  But it is cold.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

AbeGarb

• I've heard good things about Nantucket Law...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 12:23:37 AM »
i live outside DC right now but grew up outside Syracuse so i know all about the cold - still, i thought Penn St would be better because of the name whereas SU struck me as only having regional importance.

Does anyone think PSU is suffering b/c of the whole Dickinson vs. Univ Park campus split?  For me, it was a draw.  While i see the upside to being in a quiet place like Dickinson and being closer to Philly & DC, i think the chance to be at the main campus would be too much to pass up and eventually draw a much stronger student body and elevate their rankings up where the other Big Ten law schools are.

Then again, i've read some people post the split is a negative and will cause all sorts of problems for the University and the students.

I guess in the end it depends on seeing the glass half full or half empty...
Waiting on LSAT

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 01:38:03 PM »
I was just looking at the peen st. website; there is no text I can find that addresses this, but from pictures of the two transitional facilities it seems that a number of classes are taught only at one class and it is normal to take a class via video conferencing.  I find this very odd.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Ali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 05:08:19 PM »
Video conferencing?? Where did you see/hear that?

I didn't catch that. I thought they were running 2 concurrent programs.

Anyone know any details?

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 03:36:05 PM »
There are full curricula at both facilities. State-of-the-art video conferencing is available for higher lever electives that might be taught only at one place at a time. I went to an open house at the Carlisle campus, and they said they're one of the only (or maybe the only, I forget) school for which the ABA has approved this. It seemed pretty cool actually - seems to open up more options.