Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: can you defer at two schools? Plus, watch as I have a nervous breakdown  (Read 1124 times)

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Ive searched this board and I cannot seem to find a decisive answer to this question. Can you defer at two schools?

I currently have been accepted to

A) La Verne
B) Thomas Jefferson

Pending Apps:

A) Whittier
B) Chapman

La Verne has been very understanding about possibly defering. TJ, on the other hand, they seem more annoyed by it.
They still say I can do it, and claim, I may or may not get the fin aid scholarship they have awarded if I defer.

La Verne claims I will not lose the scholarship and I am free to choose full time or part time program for fall.

I feel like I am being rushed to make a decision. TJ wants a decision by monday, and La Verne wants one by the 20th.Spring term begins in a month and I do not think I am mentally prepared for the rigorous and intense experience of law school just yet.Getting to law school has been quite a journey for me and I just want to catch my breath before I start an even bigger challenge. I want to dedicate myself completly to it. I am even thinking about working full time this spring, summer, saving as much as I can, and then quitting my job. Then, I will begin law school full time, and focus all my time and effort onto that. Does that sound better than Working and going to school part time?

*Sigh* I haven't even gotten an answer from 2 schools yet. Sorry, for the rant. I am soo soo stressed. I thought the stress would end when I got accepted. Boy was I wrong.  :-\

In conclusion, Is it possible to defer to both TJ and La verne?

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: can you defer at two schools? Plus, watch as I have a nervous breakdown
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 01:10:23 AM »

In conclusion, Is it possible to defer to both TJ and La verne?

I am fairly certain that to defer means that you technically do enroll in a school, just for a leter time period ... so I do not believe that you can enroll at more than one school, no.  If you weren't ready to start law school then why did you apply for the spring?
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 01:33:00 AM »
A couple of reasons.

First, my father is going in for surgery and I really would like to be there to take care of him when he gets out.

Second, I am mentally drained from the process of getting to law school. I need some time to re-coop.The next three years of my life will be dedicated to the study of law. I want to go in atleast a bit relaxed.

Third, I thought spring term, began, well in the spring.  :-\

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 08:26:31 AM »
Usually a deferral is a binding agreement with one school, in which they agree to hold a spot for you at a later date if you agree not to apply to other schools in the time before you start law school. Some schools are not willing to give deferrals at all.

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 01:26:08 PM »
Usually a deferral is a binding agreement with one school, in which they agree to hold a spot for you at a later date if you agree not to apply to other schools in the time before you start law school. Some schools are not willing to give deferrals at all.

But what if you applied to other schools prior to deferring?

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 01:41:41 PM »

But what if you applied to other schools prior to deferring?

If you're deferring, you're already 100% certain you want to attend that school, but that it would work out better for you to attend at a later date, either for you or for the school. Usually, they're doing you a favor by not making you reapply (and because admissions standards seem to go up every year), so in return you have to commit to going to that school. The bottom line is if you can't commit to any one school, don't defer. The only real way to get out of a deferral is to decide not to attend law school at all that cycle and fully reapply during a later cycle.