Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I make up for my past?  (Read 806 times)

sweetlotus

• View Profile
Can I make up for my past?
« on: December 05, 2006, 04:23:20 PM »
Hey guys, I sort of have a unique situation and was wondering if I could get any advice..

I went to college for 3 yrs, but did not put much effort and pretty much flunked everything. I transferred 2 yrs ago, and currently have a 3.9 GPA. By the time I graduate, I should have a cum GPA of about 2.3. At the very least, there was an upward trend...

Anyway, I took the LSAT for the first time this December and do not think I did as well as I could have. I think I scored in the low 160's b/c I ran out of time on 3 sections- which is unusual for me. I am thinking of retaking it in Feb after I work on my timing issues and am pretty sure I can get high 160's or even break 170.

Now, I was wondering if I should cancel ... or keep a semi-decent score and then consider a retake. I really want/need to apply this year and the schools I'm looking at consider the higher score. Also, what sort of schools do you think I would have a good chance at? I know I have horrible past grades, but I have gotten my act together. I don't really have a good explanation about why I was such a loser either.... I'm was wondering if I have a shot at schools like Brooklyn, St. John's, etc.?

Appreciate any help I can get, sorry for my boring history  :P

P.S. If i have no chance at a T1 school, then I will just give up now.

LSAT Granddad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can I make up for my past?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 04:50:44 PM »
For low GPA, you can always make it up by high LSAT. My guess is that high 160s should get you into some t1 schools. But probably not t14 schools though.
Aspartate(attractant):W&L, GULC, Mich, UVa
Leucine(attractant/repellent):H
Nickel(repellent):
randomwalker

mmavaletudo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 04:51:00 PM »
why exactly do you HAVE to go to a T1 school? don't be an idiot

prbaglady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 05:02:12 PM »

Unless you have a very significant explanation for your grades those first 3 years (such as- "I was sick with cancer" or something) I donít know if you have a realistic chance at a T1 with a 2.3, even if you score in the 170s. This is not a semester of bad grades, but 3 years of bad grades. And the "i didn't put any effort for X reason excuse" is not going to sway admissions committees

That said, if you believe you can do better (as in 5+ points better)-- and be honest with yourself about this-- you should cancel, retake in February, and wait to apply early in the '07 cycle.  A year of interesting work experience would give you a chance to prove yourself in another arena, and maybe get a good letter of rec from an employer.  It could really help your application.

Also, why does it HAVE to be a T1 school?

traffic777

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 07:08:53 PM »
I should have a cum GPA of about 2.3. At the very least, there was an upward trend...

I work on my timing issues and am pretty sure I can get high 160's or even break 170.

P.S. If i have no chance at a T1 school, then I will just give up now.

Minnesota might take you with 2.3/170. Lower than 170 = forget about T1. http://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearch/Search3.aspx?SidString=
3.95/162
137(c), 147(d1)...5months later... low 160s
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=traffic777

sweetlotus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 08:19:08 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snooty about T1.. I know of course I have no shot at T14 but I thought that since I was doing so well at my new school that the new grades might be taken into consideration. Also, I do have interesting work experience between the time I transferred as I was assistant cruise director on the Yangtze River and that gave me a new prospective on life- which I plan on writing about in my personal statement.

My brother went to St. John's Law and he makes it seem like a realistic possibility for me to get in? However, I don't know if he's just being overly optimistic since he wants me to apply to NYU Law as well...

The reason I'm not sure about cancelling is b/c I'm not sure how I did and I kind of want some sort of base to go on. But if you guys think that I should def. cancel if I can realistically get a 170+ I might just do it. Soon. Thanks

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 09:28:29 PM »
Cancel. With your GPA you'd need a score in low 170's or at least high 160's. And you should probably have only one score since your gpa is damaging enough. T1 is hard to get in with a gpa like that, so you must do well on the lsat. And it doesn't sound like you did do that well...

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 09:43:02 PM »
A school will still see that you've canceled your score, so unless it's god-awful, I'd keep it.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

kaniff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 10:32:37 PM »
Do schools really look down upon a canceled score?  As in, factor it into their decision?

Bouzie1982

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 10:35:05 PM »
CANCEL, most schools coulnt care less.  Even for schools who do a canceled score will look better than a lower score.