Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transition from UG to HBCU's  (Read 1298 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Transition from UG to HBCU's
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 11:50:02 AM »
I chose my fraternity, because it was the best choice for me. There are a lot of things like hazing that go on in some of black fraternities on my campus(different sources have told me). It just didnt seem right for me.

Maybe nervous was the wrong word...im basically just looking for how the environments may be different (socially, academically, etc). I didn't want to start an uproar, just looking for some kind of prospective.

Of course you know White fraternities haze as well but that's an ancillary topic for purposes of your question.  From what I have gathered, the level of education at HBCU's is not as substandard as what may be percieved from the outside.  A couple may be, but take Howard Law for example - they had a moot court team go the national finals in the ABA competition last year and go up against Harvard law....and Howard beat Harvard Law for the national title.  So my experience has been, even with cats at Thomas Cooley, the law is the law no matter where you go - its what you do with it as a student that sets you apart. Just my 2 cents.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 12:11:13 PM »
I chose my fraternity, because it was the best choice for me. There are a lot of things like hazing that go on in some of black fraternities on my campus(different sources have told me). It just didnt seem right for me.

Maybe nervous was the wrong word...im basically just looking for how the environments may be different (socially, academically, etc). I didn't want to start an uproar, just looking for some kind of prospective.

Of course you know White fraternities haze as well but that's an ancillary topic for purposes of your question.  From what I have gathered, the level of education at HBCU's is not as substandard as what may be percieved from the outside.  A couple may be, but take Howard Law for example - they had a moot court team go the national finals in the ABA competition last year and go up against Harvard law....and Howard beat Harvard Law for the national title.  So my experience has been, even with cats at Thomas Cooley, the law is the law no matter where you go - its what you do with it as a student that sets you apart. Just my 2 cents.

Yea but he qualified it by saying that the black fraternities haze on his campus.  I don't think he was trying to say that white fraternities don't hate at all, maybe they just didn't on his campus.
Columbia 3L

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 12:34:39 PM »
Not to get sidetracked, but I'm sure if we looked into it, the white fraternites on his respective campus haze as well at some level.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

osutennisguy04

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 02:55:43 PM »
o yeah they do, just not mine

thanks everyone on the advice

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 07:21:12 PM »
Am I the only one surprised that after going to a PWI, the OP now wants to attend an HBCU?

*scratches head*

I thought it was suppposed to be the other way around? After spending 4 years dealin' w/ yer own people and all their drawbacks and advantages, you decide to get a degree from "The Man" just so you can feel like a well-rounded person when you go to interview for jobs.

hmmm
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 07:03:27 PM »
Did you go to Ohio State?
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 03:07:21 AM »
yo, some folks are mad salty about this question!

I haven't ever attended school at an HBCU, so I can't tell you how it would be different. But depending on where you're going (esp. if you're going to HUSL) I wouldn't be surprised if you fit in perfectly. HBCU blacks are an interesting mix. There may be 25 of your kind in your 1L class.