Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transition from UG to HBCU's  (Read 1272 times)

osutennisguy04

• View Profile
    • Email
Transition from UG to HBCU's
« on: December 05, 2006, 01:03:40 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the transition from a predominately white state school to a HBCU. I'm African-American and I attended a white majority state school, was in a predominately white fraternity (as recruitment chairman, I changed that!) and I was nervous about potentially moving to a HBCU. I'm more nervous about the different environment and how it would affect me, nothing wrong with it...just curious

anyone have the same experiences?

osutennisguy04

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Transition from UG to HBCU's
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 05:15:00 PM »
I am thinking about going to a HBCU for law school...thanks for the advice

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 12:06:15 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the transition from a predominately white state school to a HBCU. I'm African-American and I attended a white majority state school, was in a predominately white fraternity (as recruitment chairman, I changed that!) and I was nervous about potentially moving to a HBCU. I'm more nervous about the different environment and how it would affect me, nothing wrong with it...just curious

anyone have the same experiences?

I'm curious to know where you feel the source of your nervousness stems from?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 09:32:14 AM »
may think he's one of the only blacks that grew up the way he did.. i'm more curious about why he chose to join a white fraternity when there were black fraternities on his campus to be honest...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

newme165

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 12:39:36 PM »
Does it make a difference? Maybe the black fraternities didnít have what he was looking for. IMO it would not have made a difference because the impact that the fraternities has depends on the school. For example, in my school the historically black fraternities were more interested in who could throw the best parties as opposed to voter registration and mentoring up and coming black students. Maybe he joined a fraternity that better met his needs. However, I am also interested in why he feels nervous about being in a mostly black environment.
may think he's one of the only blacks that grew up the way he did.. i'm more curious about why he chose to join a white fraternity when there were black fraternities on his campus to be honest...
The LSAT makes me cry!!!!!!!!

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 12:51:38 PM »
it matters to me because I'm curious as to why it was important to mention being in a predom white fraternity and then state the nervousness of attending a HBCU.. what's going on with the black fraternities on his yard... of course sororities and fraternities vary from campus to campus.. that's a given.. but why would someone be nervous about attending a school that's heavily populated by black students if they are black? kind of has me scratching my head...

Does it make a difference? Maybe the black fraternities didn’t have what he was looking for. IMO it would not have made a difference because the impact that the fraternities has depends on the school. For example, in my school the historically black fraternities were more interested in who could throw the best parties as opposed to voter registration and mentoring up and coming black students. Maybe he joined a fraternity that better met his needs. However, I am also interested in why he feels nervous about being in a mostly black environment.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

osutennisguy04

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 12:59:50 PM »
I chose my fraternity, because it was the best choice for me. There are a lot of things like hazing that go on in some of black fraternities on my campus(different sources have told me). It just didnt seem right for me.

Maybe nervous was the wrong word...im basically just looking for how the environments may be different (socially, academically, etc). I didn't want to start an uproar, just looking for some kind of prospective.

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 02:47:03 AM »
maybe he's nervous that he will get a lower quality education.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 10:54:11 AM »
why would the education quality be lower?

maybe he's nervous that he will get a lower quality education.

parsley

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 11:03:10 AM »
Well, if diversity is an educational value...

But there are plenty of reasons educational quality at HBCUs could be lower...
this is just anecdotal from what i know, but potential drawbacks to educational quality could be...
- lower levels of alumni giving
- less state support (if at a state school... HBCUs are rarely a flagship campus)
- lower quality of other students
- perception can create reality, esp. when it comes to attracting top professors
- atmosphere