Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I cancel??  (Read 347 times)

rukiddin

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 103
    • View Profile
Should I cancel??
« on: December 05, 2006, 09:57:58 AM »
Let me start by saying that my expectations aren't very high. I'm hoping for 155-160.

That said, I only finished 3 of 4 of the RC passages, and I'm only really confident on one of them. I only finished 3 of 4 of the LG section. And finally, I had to guess on about 7-9 of the Args. I guessed "D" for all of those I didn't get to.

Given that my accuracy isn't perfect and time got the best of me on this test, should I cancel and apply next cycle or wait it out? (FYI: I have a 3.6 GPA and want to go to Houston)

I really wanted to go to law school next year.  :-\

Sweetpri

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 490
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I cancel??
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 10:04:29 AM »
According to the law school guide Houston's app deadline is 2/1 so you would definitely have to wait until next year to go if you cancel.  How were you doing on practice tests before Saturday? 
I think if you were consistently scoring above 155 on PT then you might want to keep your score.  If it's most likely going to be below 155 you'll have trouble with Houston - their median lsat is 160
University of Toledo 0L

rukiddin

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 103
    • View Profile
Re: Should I cancel??
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 10:08:18 AM »
Yeah - Houston will be a reach. I've been consistently scoring in the mid-150s on my practice tets anyways. I probably bombed this sucker.

Hell, I'd even be happy with Texas Tech at this point!

Refused Party Program

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 494
    • View Profile
Re: Should I cancel??
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 10:08:24 AM »
You need to ask yourself if you think you can do better. When I took in Sept, I knew my score would be way lower than my pratice tests and target score just because I guessed a lot on games which is usually my strong suit, and I didn't feel good about RC. I figured my nerves got the best of me. I took time off, only practiced about 3 tests worth before Dec, and I think I KILLED this test. For me, cancelling was the best thing I could have done; if I had kept my score it would have been so much lower than this time around it would have either a) watered down my average or b) would have required and addendum.

If you don't think you are going to improve, then I might not do you any good.

In the long run, it is probablly better to ensure that you put your best foot forward when applying, even if it means waiting a year. If you are fresh out of undergrad, the extra year could be helpful provided you do something worthwhile. If you are older (like me), it's just another year.

As far as what I did to help myself do better:

1) I stayed away from this board. I think reading post after post of people freaking out made me nervous.
2) I had already developed my skills, so I only did a few sections a week starting about 2 or 3 weeks prior to the test to refresh. I think this prevented me from getting burnt out.
3) When I timed myself, I used 32 miuntes as opposed to 35, mainly because I ran out of time on the Sept test too much. This improved my timing and accounted for any unsettle nerves I might have had on test day. I finshed each section with about a min or more to spare.

thenodoubter

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Should I cancel??
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 03:56:18 PM »
Hey All,

I had the same thing and canceled. I had another question. I know LSAC says 4 days, has anyone else's account showed that they have canceled your scores, I sent my fax monday.


Best!
New Cycle!