Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of D.C.???  (Read 1373 times)

benny149

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
University of D.C.???
« on: December 05, 2006, 02:32:47 AM »
Anybody know anything about this school? Is it even worth applying to as a "super safety?" My top choice is Arizona State (which I should get into...3.68, LSAT TBA 12/22, Hispanic...) but I went to West Point for a year, and I liked the East Coast. I more than likely won't have the LSAT scores for georgetown or GW or even George Mason, so what are your thoughts?

Snizzle

• View Profile
Re: University of D.C.???
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 11:29:17 AM »
assuming u do decent on the lsat you are way above their 75%tile.  u of dc is t4. you should be looking at much higher ranked schools and there plenty of them on the east coast.
friends: barry $$
refuse to take sides: wnec, widener, fla coastal, st. tom
foes: hofstra, ny, nku, wvu, vt
mia: cuny, u balt, nccu, rwu, touro, jm-atl

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 11:34:11 AM »
i wouldn't go to UDC if you can help it at all.

princeofpersia

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 12:01:07 PM »
Maybe look into American if you are interested in DC and don't think you can get into GWU or GULC.

LawJedi

• Sr. Citizen
  • I've got a bad feeling about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 04:26:54 PM »
It sucks. Don't go there. Go to Catholic if you have to.

Next!

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 04:55:37 PM »
Also, don't underestimate the power of URM and a pretty high GPA. If you're scoring 150+ you'll probably end up at least at a T2 school if you want.

Take a look at www.lawschoolnumbers.com and search at schools using URM only. Some schools won't give as much "credit" to hispanics as others, but i think some will really court you.

Hispanics with East Coast Acceptances and results:

152, 3.5 GPA, American University http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=cfern
154, 3.49, BC, AU, Washington and Lee http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=RedneckDiablo

even if you can't muster a 150+ You can do better than UDC. My impression of UDC is that it's probably mostly good if you're a full time professional with low stats (i.e. can't get into anywhere else in DC's Part time) and yet want a degree. I don't think the majority will even use that degree to practice law, but it could help with their professional life in general. I hope i'm not XOXOing it though.

PS. UDC is only provisionally approved by ABA. Stay away.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 05:49:57 PM »
I agree w/ the above poster. Provisional ABA accreditation is not a game you want to roll the dice with.

53% bar passage rate as well. Dismal. It is sure cheap though.

A school with their status will keep you limited to the DC market. Figure you are dealing with GULC, GW, Mason, American, Catholic, and Howard in the immediate neighborhood. Then you have UVA, Maryland, W&M, W&L, etc surrounding. And DC is a top market with a lot of T-14 grads flooding the area. Not a town where I want to be on the bottom of the barrel with a JD that may be lacking ABA status.

Air Force JAG Corps

Ipsa Dixit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 12:06:53 AM »
I have known two people who got their JDs from UDC, but I don't know their reasons for attending.  One worked for a non-profit advocacy group and the other (a former roommate of mine) worked for Immigration and Naturalization on the enforcement side (basically, she spent much of her time in court dealing with illegal aliens who commit criminal acts beyond the status of being in the country illegally).
'tis herself!

Lew31

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 08:27:03 AM »
Yeah, I'd only consider UDC as a last resort if you don't get into any of the other DC area schools and you must stay in the area.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 03:45:42 PM »
I'd give GMU a shot, they are a very good school and rising quickly in the rankings. Without looking it up I'd guess your gpa is right in there and hopefully your LSAT will be sufficent. Be sure to write a good PS and include your westpoint exp in it. I suspect that will carry some weight.

best of luck
HLS 2010