Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why should I vote for Kerry?  (Read 3444 times)

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
Re: Why should I vote for Kerry?
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2004, 10:36:11 AM »
I guess I believe in all those bad things you mentioned then... cause I'm sure as heck not voting for Kerry. ;)

Tongue-in-cheek, but you get my point.  You can spin anything.  By the way, that thing about blaming Clinton didn't even make any logical sense to me.

People knew the recession was on the way long before Clinton left office.  If you didn't see it coming, you weren't watching the economic indicators.  My economics professor told me my first semester of college that no matter who was elected he was going to have to face a tanking economy, because it was inevitable.  I don't blame "Clinton"... I blame the market cycle, which is something presidents have zero effect over.  I want to be clear about that.  ZERO.  NADA.

In the long run, a president's economic policy can shape an economy, but not in the short term.  And at that, the power of the president in shaping the economy pales in comparison to the power of the Chairman of the Fed.  So no, I DON'T blame Clinton, but I think it's even more absurd to blame Bush.  Or to insist that he take "personal responsibility" for something not his fault by any stretch of the imagination.

ZAP

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2004, 04:03:06 PM »
I guess I believe in all those bad things you mentioned then... cause I'm sure as heck not voting for Kerry. ;)

Tongue-in-cheek, but you get my point.  You can spin anything.  By the way, that thing about blaming Clinton didn't even make any logical sense to me.

People knew the recession was on the way long before Clinton left office.  If you didn't see it coming, you weren't watching the economic indicators.  My economics professor told me my first semester of college that no matter who was elected he was going to have to face a tanking economy, because it was inevitable.  I don't blame "Clinton"... I blame the market cycle, which is something presidents have zero effect over.  I want to be clear about that.  ZERO.  NADA.

In the long run, a president's economic policy can shape an economy, but not in the short term.  And at that, the power of the president in shaping the economy pales in comparison to the power of the Chairman of the Fed.  So no, I DON'T blame Clinton, but I think it's even more absurd to blame Bush.  Or to insist that he take "personal responsibility" for something not his fault by any stretch of the imagination.

ZAP

I agree that what happened is a market cycle and would have happened regardless of who was sitting in office at that time.  Others however, continue to blame Clinton and Bush.  I do not blame Bush, but I do believe he made things worse instead of better like they should be 4 years later.  :)
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

jazkeys

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2004, 07:50:18 PM »
I will begin by saying that while I will be voting for John Kerry, I don't believe he is the ideal choice for president; however, he is not a war criminal. For me, this fundamental difference in character makes all other debate unnecessary. Forget about the fact that Bush has proven himself to be concerned with financially benefiting the richest Americans while screwing the rest, removing as many of our civil liberties as he can both proactively and through backdoor appointments, kowtowing to corporate wishes regardless of the catastrophic economic, social and health-related results to individual Americans, offending our former allies in our greatest time of need, creating our country's largest military buildup in history while demonstrating contempt for our health, education and employment needs, and in numerous and significant other ways a champion of the few instead of the many. While there are pages of reasons why voting for Bush would be a huge mistake, the fact that he murdered thousands of innocent people should be reason enough.

I've spoken with Bush supporters who don't seem to care that Bush led our country into a pre-emptive invasion against a country that had not attacked us. Further, he got the Congress and millions of people across the country to tacitly support the illegal invasion based upon what turned out to be lies and deceptions about the existence of weapons of mass destruction. I know, I know -- all you Bush supporters are now foaming at the mouth, yelling "Forget about the WMD's! Forget about the WMD's! It doesn't matter that there weren't any; it just matters that one day, Saddam might have had the ability to create them, so we should have pre-emptively bombed the crap out of those thousands of innocent civilians because if that's what it takes to get Saddam, then so be it." I doubt those people would feel the same if North Korea nukes San Francisco on a day when Bush is visiting the Bay Area (after all, say the North Koreans, what are the lives of tens of thousands of innocent people worth when compared to the importance of taking Bush out?). Given his proven history of "pressing the button" without justification, George Bush is far more of a threat to North Korea -- and to Americans themselves -- than Saddam ever was to Americans. Was Saddam a murderous butcher who killed many thousands of his own people? Yes. Should we have used our intelligence (such as it was) to take him out via assassination or capture rather than murder thousands of innocent civilians? Absolutely. Is there any excuse Bush can give that should cause us all to accept and even forgive his murderous and illegal actions? I haven't heard any yet, and certainly don't expect to. Bush's arrogance and overwhelming sense of denial simply won't allow it. Like Hitler and Goebbels, Bush and Rumsfeld demanded that their countrymen follow them blindly against a foe identified not by aggression against Americans (or against Germans in pre-WWII Germany), but simply by the country's leader saying that here is someone evil who deserves to be taken out No Matter What. The country followed blindly without demanding evidence supporting such a war crime, and we (and thousands of innocent Iraqis) continue to suffer the consequences to this day.

I can't support state-run mass murder. It's really as simple as that. And since there really is no other choice than Kerry if we are to remove the murderer from the White House, then Kerry gets my vote. I believe that Kerry's plans regarding taxes, health care, education, civil rights, the environment, the need to protect the country from terrorists, and practically all other plans (http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/) eclipse those of Bush on practically all fronts. Hopefully the country (or at least the majority of it) will come to its senses in time to create a much-needed regime change so that Mr. Kerry can implement those plans. Otherwise, the voters who vote Bush into office are no better than the Germans who, despite evidence clearly showing his murderous ways, blindly supported Hitler simply because he said (as did Bush) that doing anything else is unpatriotic. A mass murderer is a mass murderer is a mass murderer...even if he's wearing a red, white and blue tie and sleeps in the White House (on the rare occasions when he's not adding to his record-breaking vacation time, of course).

coloroflaw.org

• View Profile
    • The color of law
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2004, 11:39:05 PM »
And yet you still think the world would be better off with Saddam running Iraq!!!  He killed HUNDREDS of thousands of people. 

I can't support state-run mass murder. It's really as simple as that.