Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: only applying to 2 law schools....  (Read 1558 times)

lsatsrockfosheez

• View Profile
only applying to 2 law schools....
« on: September 01, 2004, 07:01:35 PM »
so, i am applying to columbia and nyu this fall.  i'm graduating in june, and basically, these are the schools i want to go to as of now.  so i figure i'll try, if i get in, i'll make love to myself and how awesome i am, and if not, i'll figure out something to do for a year and then apply to a more reasonable range of law schools.  my question is this: should i get LORS and then if i don't get in, just reuse them the next time around?  or should i ask my profs to update their letters (because i will be spending a lot more time with them this coming senior year). 

question 2: if i wait and do regular decision, i will have a 3.7 instead of a 3.68 (not a huge difference i know)and will know my recommenders A LOT better (one of them is my thesis advisor).  are a .02 GPA increase and better LORS worth applying later and thus somewhat diminishing my chances?

any feedback would be much appreciated.  and also, this is a really generic, stupid, question that everyone always seems to get all huffy about...but what do you think my chances of getting into columbia/nyu are?  i am undergraduate at a top 3 ivy league, and am currently testing like 169ish.  i'll probably need like a 175 right?  VALIDATE ME!!!

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
Re: only applying to 2 law schools....
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 07:05:13 PM »
so, i am applying to columbia and nyu this fall. i'm graduating in june, and basically, these are the schools i want to go to as of now. so i figure i'll try, if i get in, i'll make love to myself and how awesome i am, and if not, i'll figure out something to do for a year and then apply to a more reasonable range of law schools. my question is this: should i get LORS and then if i don't get in, just reuse them the next time around? or should i ask my profs to update their letters (because i will be spending a lot more time with them this coming senior year).

question 2: if i wait and do regular decision, i will have a 3.7 instead of a 3.68 (not a huge difference i know)and will know my recommenders A LOT better (one of them is my thesis advisor). are a .02 GPA increase and better LORS worth applying later and thus somewhat diminishing my chances?

any feedback would be much appreciated. and also, this is a really generic, stupid, question that everyone always seems to get all huffy about...but what do you think my chances of getting into columbia/nyu are? i am undergraduate at a top 3 ivy league, and am currently testing like 169ish. i'll probably need like a 175 right? VALIDATE ME!!!

LOL....You want validation?  Go to xoxohth.com. 
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

lsatsrockfosheez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 07:11:11 PM »
another law school board?  female dog, please.  i waste enough time obsessively reading this one.  but thanks for the effort.  now, how about some real advice?

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 07:18:35 PM »
This is gonna be like watching a car drive off a cliff. YOu're setting yourself up for failure. You'll probably need to fail this cycle so that you can know how to do better next time. My insticts are that if you're at a top 3 Ivy and need someone to praise you or tell you what you are doing wrong you're probably not the brightest student at that Ivy.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 07:21:52 PM »
Oooh, touche!!  ;)

This is gonna be like watching a car drive off a cliff. YOu're setting yourself up for failure. You'll probably need to fail this cycle so that you can know how to do better next time. My insticts are that if you're at a top 3 Ivy and need someone to praise you or tell you what you are doing wrong you're probably not the brightest student at that Ivy.

lsatsrockfosheez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 07:23:53 PM »
haha, are you kidding me?   i thought the entire point of this board was to ask other people for help.  even brilliant ivy league motherfuckers like myself need someone to lean on every now and then.  oh yeah, and that was sarcasm.  much like the "validate me" portion of my last post.  but the plea for advice?  that was real.  from the warm insides of my cardial valves.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 07:51:57 PM »
even brilliant ivy league motherfuckers like myself need someone to lean on every now and then. 

LOL.  As I read this post, Lean on Me was playing on my computer. 

Please swallow your pride, if have things you need to borrow.
For no one can fill those needs that you won't let show.

You just call on me brother when you need a hand.
We all need somebody to lean on.
I just might have a problem that you'll understand.
We all need somebody to lean on...

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 08:08:11 PM »
I think the reason you're not getting much help is because, either way, you're in a pretty good position...probably enviable to lots of people in here.

If I were in your shoes, I'd find out first how long LSDAS keeps LORs on file (I don't know).  If it's not more than a year, then have interfolio or some other credentials service file them for you, so you can have them for next year, just in case. 

Second, I think I'd apply now.  If you're going to get rejected in the early decision process, then you're probably going to get rejected during regular decision, anyway.  If the adcomm isn't sure during the early decision, they could simply defer a decision on your file until the regular decision cycle.  In the meantime, you can submit to them updated grades (higher GPA) and updated/additional letters.

If it doesn't pan out, you're also in the good position of (evidently) not going to get too depressed if it doesn't work out this year.  That takes off some of the pressure and you'll probably end up doing better than you thought.

As for what kind of lsat score you'll need, play with the numbers....http://www.chiashu.com/lsat.html

My $.02, FWIW

lexylit

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 08:17:06 PM »
absy's my new fave  :-*

lsatsrock, you might want to look up karebear's old thread with stats from grads at her school (cornell)-- it was a good reality check to see how many kids with great numbers didnt get into nyu & columbia, let alone fordham and cornell.

lsatsrockfosheez

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 09:08:47 PM »
lexy and kgd, thanks so much for your help.  i didn't realize that i was coming off all braggy-like. that was definitely not my intent.  i think it makes sense to go for early decision, especially cause i can always submit more if they defer me.  okay, so now i guess i have a plan.  and i'm aware of how many amazing kids get rejected from columbia and nyu, despite the numbers, which is partially what added to my concern. 

and totalbs, "mad props" for your excellent taste in music.  i'm not going to lie, it's a beautiful song.