Law School Discussion

Bored Michigan student taking questions...

!!

• View Profile
Re: Bored Michigan student taking questions...
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 02:01:53 PM »
Wow, nice, then do you think the fact that I am a Mechanical Engineer specifically looking to do IP law will have a better chance?

What do you mean "better chance?"

If you plan on being a patent lawyer (a subset of IP) then you need to apply to a special bar and I think they require a science or engineering degree.  Check that out.  Even if you don't want to be a "patent lawyer," IP firms still really like people with science and engineering backgrounds.  Check out some IP firms' web sites.  They'll tell you what they look for.

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 02:02:27 PM »
How's Michigan's IP courses? I am specifically interested in cyberlaw and IP. Thanks!

Incidentally, Jessica Litman and Margaret-Jane Radin are both heading to Michigan.  Litman is from Wayne and is a HUGE name in IP law. 

Yeah.  Radin is the Stanford one.
http://cgi2.www.law.umich.edu/_FacultyBioPage/facultybiopagenew.asp?ID=287

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 02:06:10 PM »
What, our main Michigan 1L thread wasn't good enough for you?   :D

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 02:08:39 PM »
Hey, I am a Canadian from Windsor, ON who applied to Michigan.

1) What is your favorite thing about UofM?  (Academic, social, anything...)
2) What is the thing you enjoy least about UofM?
3) What are first year class sizes like, and how much personal contact do you have with professors?

One of the things I am most worried about, if I do get accepted, is taking out a 38,000 a year loan for tuition.  We are just not used to paying this kind of money in Canada.  I know they will provide you with student loans, how do they work and what sort of interest rates do they offer?  Is it interest free until you graduate?

I didn't answer your question completely.  Some professors are more approachable than others, of course.  But generally people here are very approachable, and the administration is always courteous and helpful.  All of my professors keep office hours.  I never go to office hours, though. 

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 02:09:33 PM »
btw - how's it going, M16?  Haven't seen you in a while. 

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 02:10:38 PM »
What, our main Michigan 1L thread wasn't good enough for you?   :D

I didn't know it existed.  I haven't been on this board in months.  I just got to the point where I couldn't read any more about implied warranites of merchantability, so I decided to help out the prospectives.

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2006, 02:13:39 PM »
You know...yeah.  Can't complain, really, except that there seems to be an inverse relationship between my desire to work and the proximity of exams.  Good thing I'm a Master Procraster, and good at pulling shite off at the last minute. 

btw - http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,73525.0.html

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2006, 02:22:50 PM »
I was recently accepted at UM and had a few questions about housing, the campus, the student body as a whole, and recruitment.  Fitness is of paramount importance to me and I see that the main gym appears to be a good distance from the Lawyers Club and Law School.  Can anyone tell me about how far a walk it is and if they run shuttles to the gym?  Also I am aware there is a Gold's Gym in AA, how far is that from the law school and how is housing near Golds?

My next question is about the Lawyers Club - what are your thoughts about that?  I am assuming it enables you to make fantastic friends, but it seems to have some downfalls - closed during Thanksgiving, Winter Break, and Summer (meaning I have to leave) and no parking.  Do the positives outweight the negatives?  If you do not live in the LC will you still be able to make very close friends or does it become more like a job where you show up say hello, go home, and repeat?

Next, do the other schools such as the business school or undergrad interact with the law students (i.e. did you make friends that are not going to be lawyers?)  Are the non law schools welcomed around the LC and the Law school?  I just ask because I'd like to take advantage of the large University setting and make friends in all sorts of discplines.

Finally, I am interested in business law and I am not 100% sure if I'd go the law firm route.  When the companies that recruit the MBAs come are the Law Schools allowed to go to the interviews and events as well?  Hopefully that made sense, but in otherwords is it easy for UM Law Student to interview with companies other than firms and government organizations?

Thank you all for your wonderful discussion on this thread, UM should borrow the talk on here and make it an FAQ booklet!

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006, 02:32:28 PM »
I was recently accepted at UM and had a few questions about housing, the campus, the student body as a whole, and recruitment.  Fitness is of paramount importance to me and I see that the main gym appears to be a good distance from the Lawyers Club and Law School.  Can anyone tell me about how far a walk it is and if they run shuttles to the gym?  Also I am aware there is a Gold's Gym in AA, how far is that from the law school and how is housing near Golds?

My next question is about the Lawyers Club - what are your thoughts about that?  I am assuming it enables you to make fantastic friends, but it seems to have some downfalls - closed during Thanksgiving, Winter Break, and Summer (meaning I have to leave) and no parking.  Do the positives outweight the negatives?  If you do not live in the LC will you still be able to make very close friends or does it become more like a job where you show up say hello, go home, and repeat?

Next, do the other schools such as the business school or undergrad interact with the law students (i.e. did you make friends that are not going to be lawyers?)  Are the non law schools welcomed around the LC and the Law school?  I just ask because I'd like to take advantage of the large University setting and make friends in all sorts of discplines.

Finally, I am interested in business law and I am not 100% sure if I'd go the law firm route.  When the companies that recruit the MBAs come are the Law Schools allowed to go to the interviews and events as well?  Hopefully that made sense, but in otherwords is it easy for UM Law Student to interview with companies other than firms and government organizations?

Thank you all for your wonderful discussion on this thread, UM should borrow the talk on here and make it an FAQ booklet!

There are two university gyms about the same distance from the law school. It's about a 7 minute walk.  10 if you're slow.  There aren't "shuttles" to the gym, but the city has a pretty good bus system, which is free for students.  I have no idea where Gold's is.

You don't have to leave the LC during Thanksgiving.  They don't serve meals, though.  I love the LC.  I've made lots of friends outside my section.  I never would have met them.  It's also nice to be able to concentrate on school without having to cook, clean bathrooms, etc.  I am definitely living here next year.

Other grad schools at UM do interact with the law school.  There are occasional "mixers," etc.  Student groups are generally the best way to interact.  They seem to have events with their corresponding groups at other grad schools, depending on the group.  You can take classes in other grad schools after your 1L year.  It's easy to get approval. 

I doubt the business school would let you in on their on campus interviewing.  But... it's not like you're going to have trouble finding a job.