Law School Discussion

Bored Michigan student taking questions...

!!

• View Profile
Bored Michigan student taking questions...
« on: December 03, 2006, 12:57:10 PM »
... for a little while.

Re: Bored Michigan student taking questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 01:32:59 PM »
How's Michigan's IP courses? I am specifically interested in cyberlaw and IP. Thanks!

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 01:36:29 PM »
How many people do a joint JD/MPP/ Is it hard to get into? Thanks

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 01:38:45 PM »
Hey, I am a Canadian from Windsor, ON who applied to Michigan.

1) What is your favorite thing about UofM?  (Academic, social, anything...)
2) What is the thing you enjoy least about UofM?
3) What are first year class sizes like, and how much personal contact do you have with professors?

One of the things I am most worried about, if I do get accepted, is taking out a 38,000 a year loan for tuition.  We are just not used to paying this kind of money in Canada.  I know they will provide you with student loans, how do they work and what sort of interest rates do they offer?  Is it interest free until you graduate?

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 01:44:29 PM »
How's Michigan's IP courses? I am specifically interested in cyberlaw and IP. Thanks!

I haven't taken any... not my thing really.  Trademarks is supposed to be fun, though.  We have a really good IP professor, Rebecca Eisenberg.  You can check out her bio on the web site.  We're also stealing some big name prof from Stanford.  I think she's coming in the fall.  Sorry I don't have a better answer.

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 01:47:07 PM »

I haven't taken any... not my thing really.  Trademarks is supposed to be fun, though.  We have a really good IP professor, Rebecca Eisenberg.  You can check out her bio on the web site.  We're also stealing some big name prof from Stanford.  I think she's coming in the fall.  Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Thank you! That is definitely helpful. I will look up that IP professor and it is good to know that there are some more joining.

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 01:49:58 PM »
How many people do a joint JD/MPP/ Is it hard to get into? Thanks

My impression is that only a handful actually do that.  You can always wait until you're here to apply to the MPP program.  UM really pushes "dual degrees."  It's my understanding that getting admitted to MPP is much easier than getting admitted to the law school.

They have a really nice building too.  It's brand new.  I had a class there.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 01:56:12 PM »
Wow, nice, then do you think the fact that I am a Mechanical Engineer specifically looking to do IP law will have a better chance?

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 01:58:41 PM »
Hey, I am a Canadian from Windsor, ON who applied to Michigan.

1) What is your favorite thing about UofM?  (Academic, social, anything...)
2) What is the thing you enjoy least about UofM?
3) What are first year class sizes like, and how much personal contact do you have with professors?

One of the things I am most worried about, if I do get accepted, is taking out a 38,000 a year loan for tuition.  We are just not used to paying this kind of money in Canada.  I know they will provide you with student loans, how do they work and what sort of interest rates do they offer?  Is it interest free until you graduate?
~

1) I love the people here.  Most of the students are really good to each other, and few are competitive.
2) It seems like private T14 schools have more money to throw around than UM.
3) Most of your classes will be about 90 students.  One (could be any) will be a "small section" with ~45 students, and Legal Practice has about 22.  So your regular section is halved for one class, and halved again for Legal Practice.  Make sense?

38k is nothing.  I'm taking out more than that.  No one here is worried about loans.  You will make more money than you need when you graduate, and there is a loan forgiveness program if you go public interest.  Associates out of UM's starting salaries are about $125, (and on the upswing).

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 01:59:41 PM »
How do you feel about possibly getting stuffed out of the national championship game for TTT Florida?

I don't care.