Law School Discussion

Who should professors address recs to?

JTG

• View Profile
Who should professors address recs to?
« on: December 03, 2006, 02:00:08 PM »
If they are going to be general letters and not targeted, should I have them address them to the Law School Admissions Council? Like, "Dear Law school Admissions Council"? I'm confused.

THanks.

JTG

• View Profile
Re: Who should professors address recs to?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 02:08:00 PM »
If they are going to be general letters and not targeted, should I have them address them to the Law School Admissions Council? Like, "Dear Law school Admissions Council"? I'm confused.

THanks.

They're recommending you for law school, not LSAC employment, so they should be addressed to the schools.  Something like 'Dear Colleagues' or whatever folks normally write.

but the address at the top of the page should still be LSAC, right? Or should I just have the prof leave his or the LSAC address off of the page and have dear colleagues as the only heading?

JTG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 02:27:03 PM »

THanks.

They're recommending you for law school, not LSAC employment, so they should be addressed to the schools.  Something like 'Dear Colleagues' or whatever folks normally write.

but the address at the top of the page should still be LSAC, right? Or should I just have the prof leave his or the LSAC address off of the page and have dear colleagues as the only heading?

Right, yeah, sorry.  Address of the letter should be to LSAC in Podunkville, PA and then the salutation should be directed towards the schools (e.g., 'Yo Homies,')

H.

You're being serious, right?

Like the top of the letter should be the LSAC address, and then below that, a dear colleagues is fine to lead off?

JTG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 02:43:31 PM »

THanks.

Right, yeah, sorry.  Address of the letter should be to LSAC in Podunkville, PA and then the salutation should be directed towards the schools (e.g., 'Yo Homies,')

H.

You're being serious, right?

Like the top of the letter should be the LSAC address, and then below that, a dear colleagues is fine to lead off?

Yeah, being serious about everything except the homies business.  Professors will usually know how to do this, so I'm not sure whether yours have asked you specifically, but they should write it on school letterhead, so their address will be at the top.  Then the LSAC address, then, optionally, a line like 'Re: Letter of Recommendation Form L1 (JTG - LSAC#XXXXXXX)' and then whatever they choose to write  as a salutation. 

H. 

what if they teach at a different school than mine now? is using new school letterhead okay?

db2ur

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 03:44:01 PM »
Have them address it to "The University of Yale-New Haven Campus-'s Online Graduate Law Program."

Other schools don't get offended if you apply to Yale, and they'll like having the added satisfaction of knowing you can't get in to Yale with a salutation like that.  You win in all cases but Yale.