Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New guy looking for advice  (Read 398 times)

osutennisguy04

• View Profile
    • Email
New guy looking for advice
« on: December 03, 2006, 12:00:25 PM »
Hey Guys, I'm new to this site and I had some questions about LORs. Do universities usually want an academic LOR and nonacademic? would I be put at an disadvantage if I just had two nonacademic LORs( but having good academic credentials, and the LORs speaking towards good work ethic?)

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
Re: New guy looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 12:08:40 PM »
if you are fresh out of undergrad, they will expect academic lors

if you have been out working a couple years, they will expect work lors, but try to get at least 1 academic lor, if possible

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 12:11:57 PM »
Both of my LORs were non-academic and I don't think it really hurt me, since one was for a quasi-academic internship.  But I think it would be best, if you can find an academic recommender who can actually say something about YOU as opposed to "guy got a good grade in my class," in addition to a work-related LOR. 
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

parsley

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 12:16:45 PM »
Well, you're asking them to let you into a school... so unless you're long gone from UG, you will need an academic LOR.

Check the school web sites -- some even specifically ask for academic LORs.

Also, are your "nonacademic" LORs "professional" LORs or are they "character" LORs?  Use community members, family friends, etc. only if you're in trouble with finding other LORs or have specific character flaws you need to make up for...