Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SEO Corporate Law Internship  (Read 87448 times)

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SEO Corporate Law Internship
« Reply #330 on: January 06, 2009, 02:50:18 AM »
Anyone do SEO or know anything about it?  I had some questions...

1)How do you get in?
2)How do they place you with a firm?
3)They say the pay range is $650-$1000.  How do they decide how much you're paid?
4)What is the experience like?  Is there a lot fo work?

I heard that the pay goes as high as $1,300/wk. That's much better than $1,000, considering that you'll likely be in NY.

prophecysp04

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #331 on: January 08, 2009, 05:11:46 PM »
I have heard that SEO is very conservative.  I am interested in applying for an opportunity, but I have shoulder-length dreads that I typically pull back into a ponytail.  Would this prohibit me from obtaining a position?  Has anyone with this hairstyle been accepted into the program in the past?

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 08, 2009, 11:57:11 PM »
I have heard that SEO is very conservative.  I am interested in applying for an opportunity, but I have shoulder-length dreads that I typically pull back into a ponytail.  Would this prohibit me from obtaining a position?  Has anyone with this hairstyle been accepted into the program in the past?

I don't know, but it begs the question, "Why ask for pictures in the first place?" I mean, if the pix are for publicity reasons, they can get those after one is admitted to the program. On the other hand, people change their hairstyles, gain/lose weight, get tan, etc, so if the pic is meant for indicative purposes, I don't see how it's of any use.

I am more concerned with the fact that most of their admitted students have come from T-14 schools. I wonder what that means for my prospects, because I have only applied to four of them (one of which I have almost no shot at getting into: Yale).

throwawayname1

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 09, 2009, 12:56:15 AM »
1) Lawdog, the salary figures do in fact range quite a bit, and are on a weekly basis (i.e. anywhere from 700 to 1000+ dollars a week). It depends on each employer.

2) prophecy, SEO does take a very conservative approach to working in the corporate world. It's a truism that the legal industry is a conservative one. SEO tends to take a somewhat extreme approach - the rule of thumb is that its always better to play it safe. SEO preaches a certain kind of conformity - you should be unremarkable in every way except your attitude, effort, and the quality of your work product, or as the unofficial motto goes "Do it better, do it faster, then ask for more." That being said, you might be able to pull it off if the dreads are relatively short, tied back, and you generally look professional etc. If you've got the credentials and attitude, the hair won't really be an issue (i.e. you're Harvard bound). In fact I'd say you'd be perfectly fine during OCI and any actual interviews in the future. FWIW, My class of SEO generally fit the minimal facial hair + generally short hair cut mold.

3) Lawdog, as to your concern about the impact of where you go to law school, I addressed the question a bit on the previous page. In short: where you get into school matters. A lot. T14 isn't a lock, nor is T15-20 an autoreject. But it's a numbers game and the preference for an academic pedigree is understandable considering the firms who participate in the program look for the same thing when they hire 2Ls.

meesawoosa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 09, 2009, 05:27:35 PM »
to those who interviewed in NYC today - how was it? thoughts/recap? hope it went well for you!

legends159

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 09, 2009, 06:28:09 PM »
to those who interviewed in NYC today - how was it? thoughts/recap? hope it went well for you!

+1

Sambamc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #336 on: January 09, 2009, 10:28:46 PM »
 :-\ :-[ :'(

BJWriter26

« Reply #337 on: January 10, 2009, 12:51:12 AM »
Mine's tomorrow. I'll debrief for the board afterwards :)

joebuddencirca03

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 10, 2009, 01:39:45 AM »
SEO is extremely conservative and rarely selects persons outside of the T-14, to answer a couple questions I saw raised upthread.
Georgetown 1.5L

Sambamc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #339 on: January 10, 2009, 03:22:42 PM »
So to confirm how this works, I have to choose a school before they'll even tell me if I'm in? That sucks mostly cuz I have only heard back from two schools.