Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SEO Corporate Law Internship  (Read 87533 times)

BJWriter26

Re: SEO Corporate Law Internship
« Reply #320 on: December 13, 2008, 07:08:52 AM »
Anyone know what the likelihood of getting an offer is if you receive an invite? Also, do you know how many people get accepted to nyc and to dc?

joseito21

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 14, 2008, 11:16:10 PM »
Yeah, I chose NYC as well. I have Jan 9. I was reading another forum [see below]and it seems that it is VERY VERY much to one's advantage to be a minority and decide on a top 14 law school. Apparently, their decision isn't given until you submit you law school enrollment receipt.

They also said that almost everyone is placed NY.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50541&start=25

secondsblue

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 15, 2008, 02:38:42 PM »
Questions:

1.)What's the deal with the "applications with partner firms" section? I haven't applied to any partner firms... I figured they'd just place you if you were accepted for an internship...

2.)Also, I was invited to apply via snail mail. I graduated in December 2007. Am I still considered a recent grad for purposes of the Summer 09 program?

3.)Does LSAT/SAT matter? They ask for it a few times. My LSAT was 164, and I never took SATs or ACTs. Undergrad GPA was 3.92

4.) Is Boalt = autoadmit to SEO?

BJWriter26

« Reply #323 on: December 15, 2008, 03:51:25 PM »
1) Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see a section for law schools, where you can put in where you applied and where you got in.

2) I think that, as long as you're planning to enroll in law school in the fall and you haven't been out too nlong, you're eligible.

3) I'd say LSAT probably matters more, but I'd just list all?

4) I don't think so, since there were numerous students from a host of different places.

On another note, anyone know how to go about researching firms to discuss during the interview?

throwawayname1

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 15, 2008, 05:23:23 PM »
joseito21 - it's to your advantage to be a minority because it's a minority program.

1) the "partner firm" part of the application is mostly directed to the finance program candidates. basically they want to know if you're applying directly to an internship program at one of their partners as well as through SEO. where corporate law is considered, SEO isn't a parallel program - it's the only program.

2) It's OK if you're out of school and worked for a while. In fact it's probably a boost. You know how the real world operates, and thats a major asset.

3) They ask for all your academic credentials, where you get into, and where you're matriculating for mostly the same reason - the firms they're partnering include a number of the most selective firms in the country. The firms let SEO select and place all the candidates without their input. No doubt that in return there's an expectation on the part of the firms that the interns they get will reflect their targetted recruiting demographic - T14 schools.

4) No school is truly an autoadmit, but I'm fairly sure Berkeley clears a major hurdle for getting a slot.

As for NY/DC, SEO has been in NY for a long time, and just started in DC last year. Also the NY market is significantly larger anyway.

You won't really be asked about the firms during your interview. If you've done a lot of interviews, you'll know they tend to fall into two categories. There's the "friendly conversation" interview, and then there's the "bordering hostile/skeptical interview." SEO tends to the latter category. Know the traditional interview questions (why do you want this position? What makes you a better fit than anyone else? greatest Strength/Weakness, etc.) Have good answers for all the standard stuff. Know your resume - you will get asked about it. Especially any sort of gap. Also, this is a corporate law program - they asked me how I'd explain the lack of any business/econ/corporate experience on my resume to a legal recruiter. When I did the interview, they also asked you to read a newspaper article they'd give you and then you'd have to explain it coherently and answer some questions about it.

SEO is a great program, I learned a lot about the structure and nature of the industry. I felt super-informed when 2L OCI rolled around this year. Especially with the way the economy is now, this is a really solid leg-up. Go for it.

good luck!

secondsblue

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 15, 2008, 07:53:31 PM »
any difference in sending 1 recs vs. more? also, anyone submit a resume longer than 1 page?

BJWriter26

« Reply #326 on: December 17, 2008, 05:15:45 PM »
I think they say explicitly to send a 1 pager, though I'm not how sure how strict they are on that.

meesawoosa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 24, 2008, 07:52:16 PM »
I'm interviewing the third wkend of January in SF... who's interviewing earlier? any thoughts on how to best prepare?

BJWriter26

« Reply #328 on: December 24, 2008, 07:55:19 PM »
I'm interviewing the 2nd weekend in January in NYC. Basically, I think I'll just go over my resume, look up a couple firms, and have some idea of why I want SEO/corporate law. You?

meesawoosa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 29, 2008, 12:48:34 PM »
basically the same. i didn't think about looking up firms... though now i suppose i will if i have time. for me the resume review is prob'ly the most important, since i have several version of it floating around my desktop and i don't want to be inconsistent with the version i sent in. Good luck to you! and happy new year.