Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SEO Corporate Law Internship  (Read 87575 times)

RTP2008

• View Profile
Re: SEO Corporate Law Internship
« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2008, 12:44:54 AM »
I've interviewed already. Its not bad if you establish a easy going relationship from the onset. You gotta remember that these people are looking for a reason to help you. In my case it was 10 minutes before we got to our first interview question. And thy were all basic. It might have helped that she was beautiful, but it was a very enjoyable experience.
NYU 2011

cd08

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 25, 2008, 09:32:54 AM »
The interview was not bad at all. The interviewer was very nice and laid back...and she was beautiful!

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 25, 2008, 09:33:46 AM »
Sounds like you guys had the same interviewer.

RTP2008

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2008, 01:42:17 PM »
Atlanta?
NYU 2011

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2008, 01:46:54 PM »
For those who recently had interviews, how was the case question?

RTP2008

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2008, 02:07:47 PM »
cake
NYU 2011

Anonymous Candidate

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 27, 2008, 08:44:59 PM »
I've interviewed already. Its not bad if you establish a easy going relationship from the onset. You gotta remember that these people are looking for a reason to help you. In my case it was 10 minutes before we got to our first interview question. And thy were all basic. It might have helped that she was beautiful, but it was a very enjoyable experience.

So I've never posted on this before, but I thought I would share my thoughts about my recent experience interviewing with SEO.  First of all, I thought that the interviewer (there was only 1) was extremely unprofessional.  Nice and congenial, yes.  But the entire interview she was checking her blackberry and cell phone every time it blinked.  As someone who flew quite a ways and took time off of school and work to participate in the interview (which is only 30 minutes, by the way), I felt that I deserved her undivided attention.  I felt like the questions asked were very generic, and more behavioral than the kinds of questions that would be useful to really narrow down the candidate field.  And what's more, she spent the first 10 minutes small-talking about stuff that had no bearing on my selection, other than seeing that I could carry a conversation.  Sure it's important to build rapport with your interviewer, but it was excessive given the time constraint.  I realize this is not in itself enough to sway my opinions on the program, but still, it was just disappointing.     

As far as the program itself, I'm not sure it's worth the stress, at least for me.  The fact that they won't even COMMENT on the status of your application until you've sent them proof of where your attending law school is a bit shady.  I thought it had to do with wanting to maintain the prestige of the program (i.e. you'll only get accepted if you go to a T14 school, or whatever), but when I asked the interviewer about it, they said the reason they do it is because they have some people who interview who don't even end up going to law school.  They just want to know you're going SOMEWHERE.  Once you're in, they might use it for placement with firms, but it's not as crucial to your admission into the program in general.  It may just be me, but I am not going to wait 4 months as I get school responses back to "maybe" get an internship offer at the end, and "maybe" with a firm that I'd like to go back to, especially since I have other offers oustanding.  I figure I'll have time in law school to make actual summer associate money (SEO doesn't pay all that much) at a firm I would probably like to go back to full time.  The risk is too great for something that you can do just as well next year.  Sure you might get a head start on networking, but my advice is, if you're not going to work elsewhere, take the summer off and have fun.  It'll be the last time you'll be able to do that for a while...you have the whole rest of your life to be a lawyer.  I'm sure the program is great for all that participate, but the process of getting there is, in my opinion, not worth the rewards.  You can do the same thing next year, and spend time exploring the culture of the firms on your own beforehand instead of getting randomly assigned to one that pays about half if not less of of what you'll be making next summer.

Just my thoughts...don't want to start a riot. : )

GoldenAfro

• Sr. Citizen
  • Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 27, 2008, 10:23:28 PM »

So I've never posted on this before, but I thought I would share my thoughts about my recent experience interviewing with SEO.  First of all, I thought that the interviewer (there was only 1) was extremely unprofessional.  Nice and congenial, yes.  But the entire interview she was checking her blackberry and cell phone every time it blinked.  As someone who flew quite a ways and took time off of school and work to participate in the interview (which is only 30 minutes, by the way), I felt that I deserved her undivided attention.  I felt like the questions asked were very generic, and more behavioral than the kinds of questions that would be useful to really narrow down the candidate field.  And what's more, she spent the first 10 minutes small-talking about stuff that had no bearing on my selection, other than seeing that I could carry a conversation.  Sure it's important to build rapport with your interviewer, but it was excessive given the time constraint.  I realize this is not in itself enough to sway my opinions on the program, but still, it was just disappointing.     

As far as the program itself, I'm not sure it's worth the stress, at least for me.  The fact that they won't even COMMENT on the status of your application until you've sent them proof of where your attending law school is a bit shady.  I thought it had to do with wanting to maintain the prestige of the program (i.e. you'll only get accepted if you go to a T14 school, or whatever), but when I asked the interviewer about it, they said the reason they do it is because they have some people who interview who don't even end up going to law school.  They just want to know you're going SOMEWHERE.  Once you're in, they might use it for placement with firms, but it's not as crucial to your admission into the program in general.  It may just be me, but I am not going to wait 4 months as I get school responses back to "maybe" get an internship offer at the end, and "maybe" with a firm that I'd like to go back to, especially since I have other offers oustanding.  I figure I'll have time in law school to make actual summer associate money (SEO doesn't pay all that much) at a firm I would probably like to go back to full time.  The risk is too great for something that you can do just as well next year.  Sure you might get a head start on networking, but my advice is, if you're not going to work elsewhere, take the summer off and have fun.  It'll be the last time you'll be able to do that for a while...you have the whole rest of your life to be a lawyer.  I'm sure the program is great for all that participate, but the process of getting there is, in my opinion, not worth the rewards.  You can do the same thing next year, and spend time exploring the culture of the firms on your own beforehand instead of getting randomly assigned to one that pays about half if not less of of what you'll be making next summer.

Law firm interviews seem to be informal anyway, though.  I'm not too surprised about the small talk or anything else you posted (maybe the Blackberry, but not that surprised).  I guess only you all can decide whether the program is worth your time though.
I'm taking my freedom... Pulling it off the shelf... Putting it on my chain... Wearing it 'round my neck... I'm taking my freedom... Putting it in my car... Wherever I choose to go... It will take me far

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2008, 01:24:14 PM »

Law firm interviews seem to be informal anyway, though.  I'm not too surprised about the small talk or anything else you posted (maybe the Blackberry, but not that surprised).  I guess only you all can decide whether the program is worth your time though.

Titcr.  I had one 20-min interview where the partner spent the entire time asking me about my family and cricket.  I don't think we even spent a minute talking about anything remotely law related.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

cerise

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 28, 2008, 02:49:28 PM »
for those who are done with the interview, what happens next?  Do we just sit and wait?