Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SEO Corporate Law Internship  (Read 83382 times)

Smokey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
SEO Corporate Law Internship
« on: December 02, 2006, 04:22:43 PM »
Anyone do SEO or know anything about it?  I had some questions...

1)How do you get in?
2)How do they place you with a firm?
3)They say the pay range is $650-$1000.  How do they decide how much you're paid?
4)What is the experience like?  Is there a lot fo work?

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: SEO Corporate Law Internship
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 08:41:45 AM »

1)How do you get in?
3)They say the pay range is $650-$1000.  How do they decide how much you're paid?

I know people who have done SEO for finance/i banking.  It's a great experience and I'd highly recommend it.  You initially apply online, then they fly you up to NYC for interviews.  They use the 'stress' style of interview, so if you do get selected be prepared and stay cool. I think the pay is determined by the company that you end up at.

On the whole SEO is a great program.  They hook you up with a mentor and you're connected to a huge network of successful minorities.  I think it's a lot of work, but also lots of perks.  Its great on your resume, as the people I know who did it either got hired back to the firm that they worked at and/or had their pick of a number of wall street firms.  If you're even remotely interested in corporate law, do it.  I wish I could!
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Smokey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 08:42:53 AM »
Why can't you?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 03:14:25 PM »

1)How do you get in?

I know people who have done SEO for finance/i banking.  It's a great experience and I'd highly recommend it.  You initially apply online, then they fly you up to NYC for interviews.  They use the 'stress' style of interview, so if you do get selected be prepared and stay cool. I think the pay is determined by the company that you end up at.

On the whole SEO is a great program.  They hook you up with a mentor and you're connected to a huge network of successful minorities.  I think it's a lot of work, but also lots of perks.  Its great on your resume, as the people I know who did it either got hired back to the firm that they worked at and/or had their pick of a number of wall street firms.  If you're even remotely interested in corporate law, do it.  I wish I could!

Must concur in the judgment.  I can't tell you how many 22 year olds I met this past summer who hadn't even gone through law school orientation yet, but because of SEO they were chillin at Sullivan, Cravath, Cleary, etc. (pretty much all the top NY firms).  At one point, it was just rediculous because we (law students) kept running into these SEO kids at damn near every law firm or bar association mixer or reception.  If you didn't know any better, you woulda thought they were lawyers for real since they were out so much.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 04:08:31 PM »
I got the invite to apply and I'm interested...but I'm really not trying to work the summer before ls.  In fact, I'm going to JA for two weeks, South Carolina for a lil bit, and REALLY trying to go to Greece.  Not trying to work, despite the perks of SEO.

Do it, do it, do it!  I would totally do SEO if I was a US citizen.  If necessary, quit your job earlier and travel before SEO starts.  The advantages are huge.  I had a friend who did SEO for two summers and had a job offer before senior year even started.  When most people were struggling to find jobs, he had multiple offers to choose from.  In addition, the connections are invaluable.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 04:10:04 PM »
I got the invite to apply and I'm interested...but I'm really not trying to work the summer before ls.  In fact, I'm going to JA for two weeks, South Carolina for a lil bit, and REALLY trying to go to Greece.  Not trying to work, despite the perks of SEO.

Do it, do it, do it!  I would totally do SEO if I was a US citizen.  If necessary, quit your job earlier and travel before SEO starts.  The advantages are huge.  I had a friend who did SEO for two summers and had a job offer before senior year even started.  When most people were struggling to find jobs, he had multiple offers to choose from.  In addition, the connections are invaluable.

but that would mean that I would have to quit my job in may or earlier...fact of the matter is that i want to work longer to save more money.
Columbia 3L

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 04:13:22 PM »

but that would mean that I would have to quit my job in may or earlier...fact of the matter is that i want to work longer to save more money.

You'll be making plenty of money with SEO.

lsn

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 04:18:37 PM »

You'll be making plenty of money with SEO.

Tru...but i want to rest before LS.  Plus, my trip to JA would be in the middle of the internship
Columbia 3L

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 07:51:12 PM »

I disagree with this completely.  Take the summer off.  Your first semester (year) of law school will be very stressful. Rest up.  You'll get a summer job.  You have the rest of your life to practice law.  And you will make plenty of connections simply by being a black law student.  Enjoy your last summer of freedom.

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 07:53:59 PM »
Enjoy your last summer of freedom.

Perhaps Nicias would disagree?
Princeton Law 2010