Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SEO Corporate Law Internship  (Read 83328 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: SEO Corporate Law Internship
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 08:02:43 PM »
Enjoy your last summer of freedom.

Perhaps Nicias would disagree?

Perhaps in character I ask, Who gives a damn?

;)

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 10:37:16 PM »
I got the invite to apply and I'm interested...but I'm really not trying to work the summer before ls.  In fact, I'm going to JA for two weeks, South Carolina for a lil bit, and REALLY trying to go to Greece.  Not trying to work, despite the perks of SEO.

Do it, do it, do it!  I would totally do SEO if I was a US citizen.  If necessary, quit your job earlier and travel before SEO starts.  The advantages are huge.  I had a friend who did SEO for two summers and had a job offer before senior year even started.  When most people were struggling to find jobs, he had multiple offers to choose from.  In addition, the connections are invaluable.

I disagree with this completely.  Take the summer off.  Your first semester (year) of law school will be very stressful. Rest up.  You'll get a summer job.  You have the rest of your life to practice law.  And you will make plenty of connections simply by being a black law student.  Enjoy your last summer of freedom.

concurring in part, dissenting in part.  Honestly you will probably make a lot more money doing SEO than working at your job (i.e. might be smart to quit early, do the CLEO grind for a few weeks, and then relax).  While it is true that you'll get a summer job, there is DEFINITELY no guarantee that you will get a paid summer position--at one of the "top" firms no less if that is something of interest to you.  To the extent that the money will come useful (and you probably will be able to hide it from financial aid) it is certainly worth considering especially as it seems you can basically lock in your next year's gig.  But  if you are going to do it make sure that you block at least a month for R & R.  good luck.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 10:40:47 PM »
especially as it seems you can basically lock in your next year's gig.

Explain.  I know a guy who did SEO at Wachtell, but they wouldn't let him come back.  Sure, he got an NYC biglaw job the next summer, but so did other, non-SEO people at his school (H).

P.S. It was a cold, cold night last night ;).

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 10:43:49 PM »
especially as it seems you can basically lock in your next year's gig.

Explain.  I know a guy who did SEO at Wachtell, but they wouldn't let him come back.  Sure, he got an NYC biglaw job the next summer, but so did other, non-SEO people at his school (H).

Wachtell is a different can of worms--heck if we want to go there we both know a 1L who went to Wachtell, but they didn't let him come back.
I also know a guy who did SEO at Paul Weiss and already has an offer to come back for 1L. Same with Cravath.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 10:47:15 PM »
To each his own.  I still say take the summer off.  Plenty of time to work at Cravath.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 11:01:27 PM »
you are also speaking from a position of relative privilege

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 11:08:20 PM »
If she's good enough to get an SEO internship, so is she.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 11:28:16 PM »
SEO is an entire program catered to minorities whereas the job search isn't.  All I'm saying is it seems to be a relatively easy way to make a few dollars and get a foot in the doorway--if you are going to devote some of your time to working this summer anyway, might as well get the name on your resume.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 11:31:35 PM »
SEO is an entire program catered to minorities whereas the job search isn't.  All I'm saying is it seems to be a relatively easy way to make a few dollars and get a foot in the doorway--if you are going to devote some of your time to working this summer anyway, might as well get the name on your resume.

Well, I was only going to work until June.  I'm going to JA in July for a couple of weeks and I want to go to Greece.  So I don't plan on really being here for the summer.  I just want to relax the summer before ls.
Columbia 3L

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 11:35:33 PM »
I'm currently contemplating applying for SEO, but I think I'm going to pass.  I need the summer to rest up and do something that I'll enjoy.  Also, while SEO would be an incredible opportunity to get my foot in the door at some of the country's top firms, considering I want to pursue legal academia and criminal law/government work, this will not really help me all that much.  I agree that taking the summer to do something relaxing and/or personally gratifying would be wise, especially since for most it will be the very last time they have the opportunity to do such a thing.
Yale.Law.School.2010