Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ACT Test Prep  (Read 4007 times)

will_m

• View Profile
    • Email
ACT Test Prep
« on: December 01, 2006, 11:17:52 AM »
Seeing that I lurked my way through the LSAT on LSD.org, I thought I would come here for help with my younger sisters ACT Test prep.  She wants some test prep help and I hope you guys can show us the best route.

rdlnl11

• View Profile
Re: ACT Test Prep
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 07:46:39 PM »
29 on the ACT about 5 years ago..

I only completed one practice test through Princeton Review.. I remember not understanding the importance of the ACT and kind of blowing it off.. I still did alright.. but I'm sure I could have easily surpassed 30

I still had the highest score in my high school (only 120 in my class).. but I pissed a lot of people off because they thought I was just a drunk/jock.. which I guess I kind of am

As for the best route.. I am unsure.. but I do know that the ACT does not have the same kind of bearing as the LSAT..

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 08:14:21 PM »
wait wait wait, you were supposed to study for the ACT?
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 10:56:54 AM »
I got a 35 without studying... the entire thing is cake... teach her a little bit of trig if I remember correctly, and a little about data analysis/chart/graph construction for the science section..

Seriously though, the thing is a joke.

Brito

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 03:05:18 PM »
Seeing that I lurked my way through the LSAT on LSD.org, I thought I would come here for help with my younger sisters ACT Test prep.  She wants some test prep help and I hope you guys can show us the best route.

None of the math is hard.  Just learn all the possible types of math problems that might appear and how to work them.

The only real problem with Reading is the timing.  If she's a slower reader, she should just practice doing timed Reading sections until she gets that right.  Previewing the questions before reading was helpful for me, but it's all about personal technique.

English is easy enough if you have a good sense of what is and is not correct.  The vast majority of the time, the shortest answer is correct.

The main difficulty with the Science section is that it's the last one of the test, so stamina is key here.  No real science knowledge required, just reading graphs and charts... which is difficult enough when you're tired. 
Harvard 2010

bubDread

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 09:01:29 PM »
man I didnt study at all.

My english was a 26 (my worst section), but I got a 174?  I dont understand this.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 01:25:01 AM »
wait wait wait, you were supposed to study for the ACT?

Yeah. Seriously. I was applying to Northeast schools back in 2001 that didn't want to look at the ACT if they didn't have to... Nonetheless, I wanted to know what all the fuss was about.

I had already taken the SAT twice, and I was satisfied with my score. So, while most of my friends were taking the SAT for a third time (in vain, I'm sure), I took the ACT. There was only ONE test center in driving distance. My preparation consisted of doing a google search to find out what sections the test had -- then I went to sleep.

The next morning I saw a friend there and he was freaking out (Long story with that kid, but he's been through a mental asylum and is basically wearing a tin-foil hat in his mom's basement these days), I just shrugged and wished him good luck...

Long story short: 34    WAAAAAY better than my SAT score (Carnegie Mellon didn't much care that I mastered the ACT, btw :( ).
VIP.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 01:29:28 AM »
None of the math is hard.  Just learn all the possible types of math problems that might appear and how to work them.

The only real problem with Reading is the timing.  If she's a slower reader, she should just practice doing timed Reading sections until she gets that right.  Previewing the questions before reading was helpful for me, but it's all about personal technique.

English is easy enough if you have a good sense of what is and is not correct.  The vast majority of the time, the shortest answer is correct.

The main difficulty with the Science section is that it's the last one of the test, so stamina is key here.  No real science knowledge required, just reading graphs and charts... which is difficult enough when you're tired. 

Yeah, the math was easy. Math was never my strong point, and I still gave the ACT a pretty good reaming. I'm a fast reader (and the passages are easy), so the Reading wasn't a problem. I also had to deal with some intensive grammar in a few of my classes in HS prior to the test, so I'm sure that helped me out too.

And the science section... Well, I'm pretty sure I got a perfect score in that one.

Overall, the ACT reminded  me of the CAT test I took many times in Elementary School, and I was always in the top-percentile on that one.
VIP.

TrashCat

• Sr. Citizen
  • My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 09:36:55 AM »
june ACT is hardest test ever.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 11:16:29 AM »
VIP.