Law School Discussion

« on: November 30, 2006, 05:45:16 PM »

Re: Questions about visiting schools
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 06:14:42 PM »
I certainly can't afford to visit all the schools I applied to.  After I get all of my admission decisions back though, my list will be much more narrow... I've already gotten into my targets so I don't have to worry about visits to my safeties.  If I get into my reaches, my decision will be based on other factors (i.e. financial aid) and not the school's atmosphere.  After my list is pared down, I'll go to the 2 or 3 schools that interest me most.
IMO, no need to visit a school you don't really care for on paper.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 06:53:22 PM »
Definitely depends on the school.  Some threads from last year showed that some students had no idea about their fin. aid packages by the time their seat deposit was due in April.  :(

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 12:32:12 PM »
what i did was set my list up in sort of my own set of tiers. i'll visit any school that i get into in tier one (7 but i live in the same city as one), if i dont' get into any of those, i'll visit any school that i get into in my second tier (3), and if i don't get into any of those i'll visit the ones in tier 3 (5, but i live in the city as one and two are in the same city).

7 sounds like a lot, but i don't plan on getting into more than 2 or maybe 3 (and a very good shot at zero), so i don't feel like i'm going to be constantly traveling.

I guess my point in all this is that i imagine when it comes down to it, you won't have more than 3 or 4 schools that you can't decide between anyway. I doubt there are many people on this board who will be taking more than 2 or 3 trips that involve lots of time and money.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 12:35:54 PM »
I'll go to as many ASWs as possible, as long as they offer to pay.  After you get all your acceptances/rejections in, I don't think it should be too hard to pare down the list to places you would actually go, and then just go visit those, right?  I remember that money was usually given out in March or April, so I think you should be OK there. 

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 01:05:58 PM »
I wouldn't visit during the ASWs -- they give you a radically different impression from what the school's like.

I found the most useful thing was to tag along with a friend and/or just visit myself.  Sit in on a few classes and pay attention to the students, especially on little things, like what types of music and t.v. shows they like, what the school's social scene is like, etc.  Every school has horrible and excellent professors, and every school within a prestige cohort has more or less the same types of students.  All else being equal (and by "all else" I mean "money"), go to the school where the marginal differences work in your favor.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 05:23:24 PM »
I see what you mean about getting a biased view from ASW, but I don't think most people (or at least me) would have a problem hearing everything that was said with a certain amount of skepticism.  I agree that the vibe is very important though; I just said ASW because sometimes/usually they will pay your way.   

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 12:07:57 AM »
I see what you mean about getting a biased view from ASW, but I don't think most people (or at least me) would have a problem hearing everything that was said with a certain amount of skepticism.  I agree that the vibe is very important though; I just said ASW because sometimes/usually they will pay your way.   

Really? Do you have to work to convince schools to pay for you to attend ASW or do they openly offer to pay? I've gotten acceptance letters, and they haven't included such offers. Should they come later, along with more materials/details about ASW?

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 12:11:20 AM »

Really? Do you have to work to convince schools to pay for you to attend ASW or do they openly offer to pay? I've gotten acceptance letters, and they haven't included such offers. Should they come later, along with more materials/details about ASW?

No idea how it works.  I have yet to go through the process, so everything I write is just hearsay.  You could probably do a search for it. 

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 04:59:19 AM »
I'm lucky enough to have confined my applications to a small region, so I'll be able to visit most of my prospective schools.  I'd love to do it with some peeps, though.  Goalie?  Cal?  Mu, up for a tour?