Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Southeast Asian Female  (Read 968 times)

deang

• View Profile
Southeast Asian Female
« on: November 30, 2006, 12:26:45 PM »
I'm planning to take the LSAT and apply to law school for either the 2007 or 2008 academic year.  I'm a little confused with the "minority" status.  Typically, when the "minority" category exists, it referrs to "African- and Latino-Americans" and it excludes "Asians".  Yet, in some cases, Southeast Asians are considered a part of the "minority" group.  In graduate schools, particularly law schools, do the admission committee include Southeast asians into the "minority group"?  And, if a person is a Southeast Asian female, is she placed in this category? Does anyone have an idea or information on this?

Thanks!

Jwebony956

• Planning my work, working my plan
    • View Profile
Re: Southeast Asian Female
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 12:35:45 PM »
Technically, no.

But you can check "other" and identify yourself as Southeast Asian. Where exactly are you from?
Top 6 Choices:
Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, UChicago, Northwestern

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Southeast Asian Female
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 12:44:32 PM »
I'm planning to take the LSAT and apply to law school for either the 2007 or 2008 academic year.  I'm a little confused with the "minority" status.  Typically, when the "minority" category exists, it referrs to "African- and Latino-Americans" and it excludes "Asians".  Yet, in some cases, Southeast Asians are considered a part of the "minority" group.  In graduate schools, particularly law schools, do the admission committee include Southeast asians into the "minority group"?  And, if a person is a Southeast Asian female, is she placed in this category? Does anyone have an idea or information on this?

Thanks!

There is a different between "minority" and "under-represented minority."  Southeast Asian females are certainly minority students, but all Asians pretty over-represented in law school and college admissions, so there is no extra bump you get for being Southeast Asian.  Most law schools only give preference to under-represented minorities (African American, Hispanic, Native American).
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!