Law School Discussion

some advice please....

some advice please....
« on: February 24, 2004, 06:15:13 PM »
Hey all...I applied to a bunch of schools, largely because my lsat scores were somewhat dissapointing. I am in the honors program at a big ten school, and have a 3.87 gpa/ 159 lsat. I didnt take them again though probably should have. I have gotten into villanova, maryland, richmond, and a few schools I do not care to attend. I was waitlisted at cardozo and have yet to hear from temple, brooklyn, american, or emory. I was rejected at gw. Two questions--does anyone have an opinion regarding the schools i have gotten into? And of the ones I have yet to hear from, what do you think my chances are? I am a little bummed and not so excited about my acceptances so far... I am hoping for temple or american. thanks for your help !!!

Re: some advice please....
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 06:30:46 PM »
Hmmm...well, I feel that, with your stats, you should still be able to get into a first-tier school...I'm just not sure about the ones you applied to (GW and Emory). The only school of these schools I know anything about is Emory, and that's only because I went there undergrad...Emory's admissions are getting tougher. From what I remember being told by an Emory admissions office (Janet Balej, I believe, is her name), they don't really care for LSAT scores under 160 (though, with a 159 and a 3.87 GPA, I still wouldn't count you out). Still, Emory is definitely raising their standards a lot in terms of who they accept and numbers...and had you applied a few years ago, I would have felt better about your chances there...all I can offer is that I wouldn't be surprised either way (if you get in or if you get rejected).

Looking at USNews, you're in the range for the other schools you applied to (GPA above the 75th, even)...even Cardozo (and getting rejected there doesn't make your chances at Emory look too good)...so it really sucks that they waitlisted you. But, hopefully, you can get into Temple, American and/or Brooklyn. The fact that you haven't heard yet might be good, if these schools have already rejected people (but, then, I think Emory sends out acceptances before rejections).

Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 06:51:29 PM »
yeah, thats why im kind of frustrated... i feel like i should be going to a tier 1 school, just bc my gpa is so high and i work so hard, though i know rankings dont mean everything... plus i applied way back in october so im nervous that i havent heard yet from everywhere. sorry for the negativity everyone, it is one of those nights !!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 07:40:02 PM »
Maryland is a top tier school.  It supposedly has great facilities as well.  If you are interested in Health Law or Environmental Maryland would be a great choice.