Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Pencils for LSAT  (Read 6624 times)

LawSchoolCutie

• Sr. Citizen
  • photoshoot with Bryan D. Socal Photography
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sx1ba8emoni
    • View Profile
Best Pencils for LSAT
« on: November 29, 2006, 04:29:31 PM »
I really HATE how the number two standard pencils write. The pencil marks are so faint. Anyone have a suggestion for a better alternative? Do Mechanical pencils work better? ???
GPA: 3.22
GPA in Major 3.8
LSAT Practice Highest Score 152
LSAT Goal Score at least 165

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Best Pencils for LSAT
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 04:30:08 PM »
I always use a mechanical pencil. Much easier to write with.

«ě»

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 04:30:52 PM »
You're filling in a circle, who cares? ;) I used mechanical pencils since I figured I wouldn't have time to mess around with a pencil sharpener (which turned out to be true), other than that, I really wouldn't care much.

user_name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 04:34:37 PM »
I like regular #2's that I've used on several tests before..like a pair of shoes, as I wear them in...the more comfortable I feel. I only really need them sharp for games and filling in the crap before the actual test begins.

CosmoKramer

• AOL Instant Messenger - Duf95687
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 05:58:40 PM »
I actually picked up both mechanical and standard pencils today. Still not sure which type I will use.
CosmoKramer does not condone the recent remarks made by Michael Richards.  CosmoKramer believes that everyone should look to the cookie and work for harmony between all peoples.

LawSchoolCutie

• Sr. Citizen
  • photoshoot with Bryan D. Socal Photography
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sx1ba8emoni
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 10:00:01 PM »
You used graphite pencils? I thought they could only be 2HB? It's not about filling in the bubble but during the logic games to write and make sure that its dark enough for you to see your diagrams. And for RC so you can keep track of your underlining
GPA: 3.22
GPA in Major 3.8
LSAT Practice Highest Score 152
LSAT Goal Score at least 165

LilaBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 10:25:14 PM »
Wow, that pencil thing is pretty intense.  You must literally have bags and bags of them considering how many prep tests there are.

Very surreptitious with the three remaining in the 177 bag.

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 10:27:59 PM »
So, it's time to reveal my weird pencil habits.  I consider this a confessional.  Yes, I am ashamed.

I settled on the Mirado Black Warrior from Paper Mate in August of 2006.  They come in packages of 12.  Reviewed here:

http://www.pencilrevolution.com/2006/05/review-of-papermate-mirado-black-warrior/

Run, don't walk, to Office Depot and get on board.

I have never reused a package; each time I take a test (the real thing or a PT), I use a new set of 12 pencils.  For the real thing, I brought 24, 2 packs.  When I am finished, I seal the pencils in a ziplock bag, and mark my score on the outside of the bag.

For Saturday, I've prepared another 24 pencils, but there were 3 pencils in one pack that had a strange coat of paint, so I threw them out.  I went back through my bag, and found my highest practice test, a beautiful 177, and coincidently, there were 3 fresh, unsharpened pencils left in that bag.  They have been placed into my case for Saturday and mixed in with the remaining 21 pencils for good luck.

you officially win the LSD LSAT uber-Nerd Trophy for December 2006. Congratulations.  :D
There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"

amaterasu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN page
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 11:46:50 PM »
I swear by mechanical pencils that use .9 lead (They're kind of hard to find though; Bic makes a line called Velocity that I love).

They're thick enough that you don't have to worry about lead breakage like you do with .5 and .7 lead, but they're not as thick as normal pencils.  And they don't write weird like normal pencils.  I also think the thicker lead makes the oval bubbling quicker, but that might just be psychological.
HLS '10

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 11:50:37 PM »
now that i've gotten the hanh of my mechanical pencils, i will never go back. took awhile to train myself not to use the eraser, as it often sent more lead out the tip, breaking shortly therafter. but it has a nice thick line and no sharpening.
There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"