Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Interesting poll data on AA and a couple racial issues.  (Read 2849 times)

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Interesting poll data on AA and a couple racial issues.
« on: November 29, 2006, 03:12:19 AM »
Here's some interesting poll data to look at:

http://www.pollingreport.com/race.htm

Gallup Poll. N=1,385 adults nationwide (MoE 3), including, with oversamples, 821 non-Hispanic whites (MoE 4), 241 blacks (MoE 7), and 266 Hispanics (MoE   7). Interviewing was June 12-15, 2003, for non-Hispanic whites, and June 12-18, 2003, for blacks and Hispanics.

"Do you generally favor or oppose affirmative action programs for racial minorities?"
      Favor    Oppose    Unsure       
      %    %    %       
   ALL    49    43    8       
   Non-Hispanic whites    44    49    7       
   Blacks    70    21    9       
   Hispanics    63    28    9

As you can see from this data, African-Americans and Hispanics support AA by 49 and 35 point margins, respectively. Non-Hispanic whites are much more closely divided, with a slight plurality opposed to race-based AA.

BUT, when you change the text of the question being asked to this:

"Which comes closer to your view about evaluating students for admission into a college or university? Applicants should be admitted solely on the basis of merit, even if that results in few minority students being admitted. OR, An applicant's racial and ethnic background should be considered to help promote diversity on college campuses, even if that means admitting some minority students who otherwise would not be admitted." Options rotated
      Solely
Merit    Race/
Ethnicity,
Too    Unsure       
      %    %    %       
   ALL    69    27    4       
   Non-Hispanic whites    75    22    3       
   Blacks    44    49    7       
   Hispanics    59    36    5       

Surprise, surprise. A slim plurality of blacks support race-based AA in college admissions. Solid majorities of non-Hispanic whites and Hispanics oppose it, with 69% of the overall US population favoring a strict merit admissions policy.

Now this question really puzzled me:

"If two equally qualified students, one white and one black, applied to a major U.S. college or university, who do you think would have the better chance of being accepted to the college: the white student, the black student  [options rotated]  -- or would they have the same chance?"

White
Student    Black
Student    Same
Chance    Unsure    
      %    %    %    %    
   ALL    31    29    36    4    
   Non-Hispanic whites    24    34    38    4    
   Blacks    67    5    24    4    
   Hispanics    44    14    38    4

Do sizeable majorities of blacks and hispanics really think that the white person is more likely than the black person to be admitted to an American college if they have equal qualifications? Wow, I'm speechless.

How about this interesting question result?

"Do you think only a few black people dislike whites, many black people dislike whites, or almost all black people dislike whites?"
      Only a
Few    Many    Almost
All    None
(vol.)    No
Opinion
      %    %    %    %    %
   ALL    52    38    6    1    3
   Non-Hispanic whites    52    39    5    1    3
   Blacks    54    38    5    1    2
   Hispanics    53    31    10    1    5

Apparently 37% of the country(well there's MoE as well) thinks that either many or all blacks dislike whites. 45% of blacks share this opinion.

I'll just toss in another Time poll for good measure:

Time/CNN  Poll conducted by Harris Interactive. Jan. 15-16, 2003. N=1,010 adults nationwide. MoE   3.1.

"Do you approve or disapprove of affirmative action admissions programs at colleges and law schools that give racial preferences to minority applicants?"
      %             
   Approve    39             
   Disapprove    54             
   Not sure    7    

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting poll data on AA and a couple racial issues.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 03:22:41 PM »
Defensive

redemption

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 03:26:30 PM »
lol.

JTG, don't be such a bore.

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 11:22:57 PM »
lol.

Boring? Hmm.

It appears most Americans disagree with you about race-based AA. I mean I know why some support it, and I can't fault them for that. It helps them out and they have a lot at stake-doesn't make it right though.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 06:18:21 PM »
lol.

Boring? Hmm.

It appears most Americans disagree with you about race-based AA. I mean I know why some support it, and I can't fault them for that. It helps them out and they have a lot at stake-doesn't make it right though.

She means two things:

1.  You are being flummoxed by a numerous fallacies within the poll itself -- part of this probably has to do with your inherent biases, but it's not necessary to posit the latter for you to succumb to the former.

2.  These are tired arguments on this board.  Start reading.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

annab

• Sr. Citizen
  • I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 06:21:57 PM »
lol.

Boring? Hmm.

Didn't most Americans believe at some point that invading Iraq was a good idea?  I'm not sure why most Americans thinking anything is an argument for it being right/wrong.  :)

And no I'm not saying anything about your original post, just the one I quoted.  ;)

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 07:33:34 PM »
lol.

Boring? Hmm.

Didn't most Americans believe at some point that invading Iraq was a good idea?  I'm not sure why most Americans thinking anything is an argument for it being right/wrong.  :)

And no I'm not saying anything about your original post, just the one I quoted.  ;)

Whenever anti-AA propositions have reached the ballots in states liek California and Michigan, Americans have supported them.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 07:52:32 PM »
So?

It's funny.  Fifty years ago, whenever the issue of segregation reached the ballots in the south, people supported it.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

annab

• Sr. Citizen
  • I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 07:55:25 PM »
So?

It's funny.  Fifty years ago, whenever the issue of segregation reached the ballots in the south, people supported it.

Hey, that must mean that it's right!  :D 

>:(

JTG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 08:02:42 PM »
So?

I wasn't trying to prove that affirmative action is right or wrong based on the % of people that support/oppose it. I was merely trying to dispel the myth on this board that affirmative action programs are popular in the United States. They are mostly popular among groups that benefit from them.