Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Choice: a minor or an internship?  (Read 410 times)

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
Choice: a minor or an internship?
« on: November 28, 2006, 12:57:22 PM »
For my schedule next semester, I can either finish up my minor or take an internship. Help me choose!

Minor:
- Requires two classes that probably involve a lot of work.
- I'm a little interested in one of the classes, not at all in the other.
- Requires a 15-page paper.

Internship:
- Probably legal/judicial.
- Probably not in the area of law I'm interested in.
- Probably 2-3 days/week.

Other info:
- I've got one internship under my belt already
- If I drop my minor, I'll have a single major (and no other minor)
- I'm working on a major research project, so the more time I have to myself next semester, the better.

Ugh. I don't know what to do. Which would you pick, and/or which do you think adcomms would prefer? ;)
Former mostly-anonymous admissions cycle blogger. Current law student.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Choice: a minor or an internship?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 01:08:03 PM »
As far as getting into law school ... or pre-law experiences goes ... it probably doesn't matter one way or another - I would personally pick whichever I thought I would enjoy more or would feel "better" about doing ...

which leads me to a question.

I have 2 minors that I will be finishing up in the next two quarters, but I have always had an agreement w/ myself that if I was going to get a bad grade in a minor class I would rather forfeit the minor to keep my GPA ... however, I did put on my resume/applications that I am pursuing a minor ... if I quit, would I need to contact my schools and let them know? (to avoid "lying" *gasp* on the apps and screwing myself over for the bar?)

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 01:14:37 PM »
As far as getting into law school ... or pre-law experiences goes ... it probably doesn't matter one way or another - I would personally pick whichever I thought I would enjoy more or would feel "better" about doing ...

which leads me to a question.

I have 2 minors that I will be finishing up in the next two quarters, but I have always had an agreement w/ myself that if I was going to get a bad grade in a minor class I would rather forfeit the minor to keep my GPA ... however, I did put on my resume/applications that I am pursuing a minor ... if I quit, would I need to contact my schools and let them know? (to avoid "lying" *gasp* on the apps and screwing myself over for the bar?)

Yeah, that's an important question too.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 01:17:30 PM »
i've been out of school for many years, and didn't have a minor,
but i think a minor means squat to adcomms

i'd take the internship for the experience

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 03:58:08 PM »
I'd say take the internship. Even if it doesn't help you with LS admissions, it is likely to help you when you start to look for a job after 1L. Many of my classmates who had legal internships or worked with lawyers before law school have offers to come back after 1L for the summer, while the rest of us who have no connections are going to have to struggle to beat out 1000 1L candidates for the same position. Even if that internship can't offer you a job itself, the connections you make there may be able to tell you about other opportunities.

As for the minor- I don't think it's at all that pertinent unless you'll develop fluency in a useful foreign language (Latin, not so much).

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 04:28:49 PM »
I would say it depends on the minor and how it plays out in your law aspirations. I don't think a minor or an internship will make much of a difference from an adcom p.o.v., but a minor might be helpful on a resume if it compliments the direction you plan to go in law (business, area studies for an international focus, etc). Unless the internship is helping you branch in way that your previous internship didn't, I might pass it up if I already have a decent cumulative work experience (in the part-time job sense, it's obvious that you are still in school), I personally do better when I research while taking classes instead of working, but everyone is different. Hope that helps...

I'd say take the internship. Even if it doesn't help you with LS admissions, it is likely to help you when you start to look for a job after 1L. Many of my classmates who had legal internships or worked with lawyers before law school have offers to come back after 1L for the summer, while the rest of us who have no connections are going to have to struggle to beat out 1000 1L candidates for the same position. Even if that internship can't offer you a job itself, the connections you make there may be able to tell you about other opportunities.

As for the minor- I don't think it's at all that pertinent unless you'll develop fluency in a useful foreign language (Latin, not so much).

Arggh! You both make such good points! If anyone from a law school reads this, I swear I'm not this indecisive in real life.

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 04:37:11 PM »
I think doing anything specifically to impress an adcomm is totally weak.

I would choose the path that you are more interested in and/or will be more fulfilling.  If you had said that the internship was in an area of law that you thought you might want to go into, I would say do that for the networking.
Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

Chef Gordon Ramsay

• Sr. Citizen
  • shut it down!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CSzabla
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 05:34:34 PM »
I had dinner with the college dean here and he basically acknowledged that minors on one's resume were worthless for employers and barely worth noting for grad schools. Even majors are somewhat inconsequential, apparently, unless they're something vocational or necessarily prerequisite (like pre-med).

So I vote internship. Whereas you can be seen to have excelled academically without a minor, the more (and especially the more intense) the extracurriculars, the better. And that goes for the future beyond law school, I should think, as well.
Signature Dish: Harvard
Succulent: Columbia, NYU, Penn, Duke, Georgetown, BC, BU, Fordham, GWU
Sent Back: Chicago, Yale
Lukewarm: Michigan

goosenesque

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 05:40:03 PM »
As far as law school admissions goes, minors are completely pointless.  I've read several interviews from various school officials who clearly explain that extra majors/minors are not as valuable as students like to think they are.