Law School Discussion

"Diversity characteristic?"

"Diversity characteristic?"
« on: November 28, 2006, 08:17:30 AM »
Some of the apps I'm (still) working on have a line for "any diversity characteristics you may wish to provide."  In most ways, I'm pretty average -- white, working class background, no huge hardships or anything.  However, I'm wondering whether to put my status as the first in my family to graduate college and the first to apply to any sort of graduate/professional school.  Is this actually a diversity characteristic?  My parents have a GED and a high school diploma, and while my grandmother did go to college, she dropped out after a year to get married.  One aunt has a college degree, as well as a cousin, but I'm not sure whether they count for this.

I don't want to come across as whiny, and I didn't have to overcome any special hurdles in order to go to college, but it actually is a big deal in my family that I'm going to law school.  Thoughts?

Re: "Diversity characteristic?"
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 08:24:19 AM »
Do it.

There's enough potential second-generation lawyers applying to law school (I'm sure you've noticed the popular "List any relatives that have gone to X Law School" question on apps) that being a first generation college student in your immediate family is a big deal. Don't sell yourself short.

Obviously, though, it will be important to temper your Diversity Statement so you don't make it seem "whiny". However, if I were in your situation I would certainly write it.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: "Diversity characteristic?"
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 09:23:10 AM »
Do it.

There's enough potential second-generation lawyers applying to law school (I'm sure you've noticed the popular "List any relatives that have gone to X Law School" question on apps) that being a first generation college student in your immediate family is a big deal. Don't sell yourself short.

Obviously, though, it will be important to temper your Diversity Statement so you don't make it seem "whiny". However, if I were in your situation I would certainly write it.

I agree  :)