Brito

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Scholarships with these numbers?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 03:53:56 PM »
Hey,
Haven't posted on here for a while but am now starting to think about applying next cycle. I have a 4.0 GPA, a Masters, a 168 LSAT, and by the time I apply I will have been working in a decent advertising / media job for a year (though not directly law related, I am dealing with a corporate client etc etc).
My dilemma is that, as an international student, I do not qualify for loans / Federal aid. Thus, I can only consider law school if I can get a full scholarship somewhere. Unfortunately, being international also immediately counts me out of a lot of schools' scholarships (e.g. San Diego... somewhere I would've loved to go, and might have had a legitimate shot at landing some decent scholarship money). I also don't have a lot of cash to throw around on lots of applications, so I really need to come up with a realistic list of possible schools... since international students are also exempt from LSAC fee waivers.
If anyone has any thoughts on schools that might be worth me investigating, I would love to hear them. From my research so far, it seems my best bet are private schools, as they tend to have more $$$ to give out, and seem more open to giving scholarships to international students. I am interested in schools all over America, but ideally would like to end up on the west coast, as I have lived in California for a year, and have close friends there.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Plenty of people have gotten full rides to Baylor with numbers lower than yours--not sure if international students are excluded.  Free online application.  That's just one suggestion.  I'm sure others will follow.
Harvard 2010

LT_Eagels_1

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 04:38:50 PM »
I think with a 4.0 GPA, a Masters, and 168 LSAT, you should have many scholarship offers, but your applications should be in by now because some schools have already started dishing out the money.  The earlier the cycle, the more money that's available.

LT_Eagels_1

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 04:50:14 PM »
Sorry, I should've made it more clear... I will be applying next cycle (in 2007).

I see.  So you should easily aim for all the top schools and some Tier 2 schools, a place like Loyola will probably give you a lot of money with your numbers.

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 04:57:30 PM »
If you are as broke as you say you are, you can get money from top schools with those numbers.

Of the top schools, I know Columbia, Georgetown, and Penn offer a substantial amount of money to poorer applicants. Georgetown will give out up to $75,000 in need-based grant aid (free money!) depending how poor your family is, Penn gives out up to $55,000 (while this seems less than Georgetown, if you spend a summer working at a high paying job you still get to keep your grant money, which is not the case at Georgetown), and I think Columbia also has a lot of money they throw at your too (I heard about someone who got $75,000 in need-based money there). More probably do too.

Anyways, you have fantastic numbers, and could quite possibly get close to full rides at top schools, just based on need.

Since applications cost alot, ask for fee waivers. I didn't get an LSAC fee waiver but wrote a letter to each and every law school I applied to saying how I did not have enough money to apply to their school and how I would love to apply but I need a fee waiver. Every school was receptive to this except NYU. The only thing it cost me was $12 an application through LSAC.

Anyways, you will definitely get full-rides from plenty of schools.. but realize you may make less money coming out as a result so sometimes it's good to take on a bit more debt (even with the debt you'll be making more upon graduation at the schools you can get into). Good luck!
Penn Law '09

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 11:33:51 AM »

Anyways, you will definitely get full-rides from plenty of schools.. but realize you may make less money coming out as a result so sometimes it's good to take on a bit more debt (even with the debt you'll be making more upon graduation at the schools you can get into). Good luck!

I don't think it is so easy for an international student to get loans, most information I have read specifically says they won't lend to non-citizens.
Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

Red Bull Imperator

• Sr. Citizen
  • Redbull sceptrum orbis terrarum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 11:37:39 AM »

I don't think it is so easy for an international student to get loans, most information I have read specifically says they won't lend to non-citizens.

It's true it's not easy but it's possible. Eg. Acessgroup gives loan specifically for foreign students (of course with high interest rates, approx. 10% a year)
LSAC Report:      $12
LSAT:             $120
Getting accepted: Priceless