Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Exhibit to Personal Statement?  (Read 2664 times)

pepem

Exhibit to Personal Statement?
« on: August 31, 2004, 02:53:35 PM »
I am writing my PS about my relationship with my clients (widows of asbestos victims), and I was wondering if it would be appropriate to include a copy of a handwritten note from one of them thanking me for my work on her case, and explaining how much the settlement money has helped her support herself after her husband's death.

Do you think this is unnecessary, or a good addition to flesh out my PS and make it more "real"?

Thanks

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Exhibit to Personal Statement?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 02:54:38 PM »
I think I would quote the letter in the PS.

lexylit

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 03:29:01 PM »
don't do it, dude  >:(

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 03:33:50 PM »
I dont' think it's a good idea...the PS is about you, not how your clients feel about you.

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 03:35:12 PM »
go for it.  its about the cheesiest idea ive heard and will go a long way to set you apart from other applicants.

I am writing my PS about my relationship with my clients (widows of asbestos victims), and I was wondering if it would be appropriate to include a copy of a handwritten note from one of them thanking me for my work on her case, and explaining how much the settlement money has helped her support herself after her husband's death.

Do you think this is unnecessary, or a good addition to flesh out my PS and make it more "real"?

Thanks

pepem

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 03:37:05 PM »
damn lexy!  no need to be hostile.  That's why I asked for everyone's opinion's first.  But why not?  You think it would just be unnecessary, or annoying to an adcom.

My reasoning for possibly including it would be that it is a concrete example of how I help out my clients, and would have more impact than me writing, "I help get clients money, and they like it"

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 03:38:14 PM »
dont listen to lexy, she was being sarcastic.  its a fantastic idea.

damn lexy!  no need to be hostile.  That's why I asked for everyone's opinion's first.  But why not?  You think it would just be unnecessary, or annoying to an adcom.

My reasoning for possibly including it would be that it is a concrete example of how I help out my clients, and would have more impact than me writing, "I help get clients money, and they like it"

pepem

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 03:39:33 PM »
now who's being sarcastic?

nathanielmark

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 03:40:45 PM »
maye you can have the lady bake some brownies and send them UPS to the ad com as well, with a note endorsing your application.

now who's being sarcastic?

newy

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 03:42:20 PM »
I would vote no on this.

Reminds me of how my mom (an artist) suggested that I do something creative and visual on my PS so I could "stand out".  Eek.