Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Exhibit to Personal Statement?  (Read 2728 times)

pepem

Re: Exhibit to Personal Statement?
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 03:44:38 PM »
ok, well anyone else have anything to say about this?  I love negative reinforcement!

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 03:50:02 PM »
Seriously, if there's any particular part of the letter that speaks to your strength of character or abilities, etc., why not quote the letter in your PS?

EDIT: I don't mean quote the whole letter, just one part that happens to be relevant/useful/ illuminating.

lexylit

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 03:52:30 PM »
would have more impact than me writing, "I help get clients money, and they like it"

maybe you just need to spice your writing up a little

pepem

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 03:55:18 PM »
No, I just read it again and the only thing the least bit quotable is pretty generic "Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you've done for me" blah blah.
I guess it's no use.  I just got the letter yesterday, it made me feel good about myself, and i thought it might be a way to spruce up the PS, but alas, the LSD has put me in my place.  :-\

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 03:57:08 PM »
Well, hang on to it anyway.  Could be something to send in if you end up in waitlist desparation mode ???

lexylit

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004, 03:57:48 PM »
nope, we just saved you getting laughed at by an adcomm, 'cause we think you're sweet.

what you want to work on is capturing all of that-- not just the gratititude at what you did, but how the letter actually made you feel-- when you write about the work you did.

nathanielmark

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2004, 03:58:35 PM »
what type of work do you do anyway, where you have "clients" and "get them money"?

pepem

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2004, 04:00:34 PM »
Thanks!  Anyway, I'll get a draft done hopefully in the next few days, I'm about halfway there.  Then you you can really be critics.

pepem

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2004, 04:03:22 PM »
what type of work do you do anyway, where you have "clients" and "get them money"?

I work in a law firm on asbestos cases, mostly victims of mesothelioma, a fatal cancer in the lining of the lung.  These people usually have a prognosis of 6 months to a year, then suffer an excrutiating death.  So our work generally benefits their widows, who sometimes, are very grateful.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2004, 04:06:28 PM »

I work in a law firm on asbestos cases, mostly victims of mesothelioma, a fatal cancer in the lining of the lung.  These people usually have a prognosis of 6 months to a year, then suffer an excrutiating death.  So our work generally benefits their widows, who sometimes, are very grateful.

At the law offices of James Sokoloff?  Dude, I see those commercials on late night TV all the time!
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?