Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canadian in an American law school...question about summer employment  (Read 3190 times)

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian in an American law school...question about summer employment
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 02:53:26 PM »

Hi All,

I'm currently a 1L in the States on an F1 visa...I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about summer employment for Canadians.  I know that I can work legally full-time on campus, but is there any option to work for a firm that's not affiliated with the University?  I heard there is some pratical training thing that allows us to work...but I'm not totally sure.  Your help is greatly appreciated.  Especially as I'm planning on submitting resumes and cover letters.

Capn

I can't remember whether my friends' visas were F1, but they would have been allowed to stay in the country over the summer if our undergrad gave internship/externship credits. 

Since a lot of 1Ls can't get firm jobs over the summer and do public interest work instead, that may be your best bet.  You essentially get around the problem by technically being enrolled in school.
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 03:07:11 PM »
The info here and on the canadian website sounds like what I've heard before: you get 1 year of OPT, which you can split however you like. Just a reminder however: there is a lot of paperwork involved, and you should expect bureaucracy to move slowly! Plan ahead. If I recall, one can expect 3-5 months to get the working permission.

Also, ABA rules cap work to 10 hrs/week during 1L

CPT (curricular practical training) is very different from OPT - minimal paperwork and instant gratification (once approved, all authorization paperwork is done by your international student office).  OPT is only an option once you've graduated, but you can get up to 1 year (11 months 29 days) of full-time curricular practical training without voiding your OPT (optional practical training upon graduation), or unlimited number of years of part-time (under 20 hours/week) curricular practical training.   The catch with CPT is that it has to be required by your course of study or your program, which is easy if you get internship course credit for working or your law school advisor tells the international office that law students are expected to complete internships during the summer. 

As previous posters suggested, talk to your international office and they will tell you all about it. 
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

capncanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 11:41:05 PM »
Thanks for your help everyone!  I didn't think this site would be so helpful!

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
  • where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 11:46:54 PM »
Usually it's slower in this neighbourhood but generally speaking, this board is a wealth of information. Searching for old posts will return surprisingly helpful results!
this guy
------------------------------
I say that good painters imitated nature; but that bad ones vomited it.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 04:08:36 PM »
The info here and on the canadian website sounds like what I've heard before: you get 1 year of OPT, which you can split however you like. Just a reminder however: there is a lot of paperwork involved, and you should expect bureaucracy to move slowly! Plan ahead. If I recall, one can expect 3-5 months to get the working permission.

The last few posts, including this one, have been the most accurate in terms of what you're asking about.  Looks like my work's been done here.  haahhahaa
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 09:33:49 PM »

The last few posts, including this one, have been the most accurate in terms of what you're asking about.  Looks like my work's been done here.  haahhahaa

/quote]

Umm, not quite.  You can't split OPT up however you like - it's only post-graduate training, meaning you have to graduate.  Plus, law schools may limit work to 10 hrs/week, but ABA rules state 20.  http://www.bu.edu/law/central/jd/services/employment/abaguidelines.html (first bullet point).  During the 3 years and/or summers, you work under CPT.
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 10:47:39 PM »
The two are interrelated.  Any CPT is taken off your OPT.  You have a maximum of 12 months for both.

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006, 03:56:18 PM »
The two are interrelated.  Any CPT is taken off your OPT.  You have a maximum of 12 months for both.

Yes and no.  They are interrelated, but CPT is not taken out of OPT.  You have 12 months of full-time CPT to complete during your course of study (actually 11 months and 30 days), or an unlimited amount of part-time CPT.  On top of that, you get 12 months of OPT after graduation.

Trust me J, I'm on my third OPT right now (three degrees) and did countless CPTs, full-time and part-time.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2006, 04:48:22 PM »

Yes and no.  They are interrelated, but CPT is not taken out of OPT.  You have 12 months of full-time CPT to complete during your course of study (actually 11 months and 30 days), or an unlimited amount of part-time CPT.  On top of that, you get 12 months of OPT after graduation.

Trust me J, I'm on my third OPT right now (three degrees) and did countless CPTs, full-time and part-time.

Nevermind, I was writing that on almost no sleep.  You're right.

I looked this stuff up almost a year ago, so my memory's kind of foggy.  I just remember that the poster I was responding to had it wrong.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2006, 09:18:56 PM »
Probably in February.