Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canadian in an American law school...question about summer employment  (Read 3225 times)

capncanuck

• View Profile

Hi All,

I'm currently a 1L in the States on an F1 visa...I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about summer employment for Canadians.  I know that I can work legally full-time on campus, but is there any option to work for a firm that's not affiliated with the University?  I heard there is some pratical training thing that allows us to work...but I'm not totally sure.  Your help is greatly appreciated.  Especially as I'm planning on submitting resumes and cover letters.

Capn

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
  • where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian in an American law school...question about summer employment
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:00:25 PM »
I have no idea. But I'm sure someone will say something helpful.. or not. :o
this guy
------------------------------
I say that good painters imitated nature; but that bad ones vomited it.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:04:13 PM »
You can also check http://www.lawstudents.ca/forums/ this place.

Don't know if it's kosher to plug another forum, but. I'll keep it here until somebody warns me. :P
this guy

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:38:57 PM »

Hi All,

I'm currently a 1L in the States on an F1 visa...I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about summer employment for Canadians.  I know that I can work legally full-time on campus, but is there any option to work for a firm that's not affiliated with the University?  I heard there is some pratical training thing that allows us to work...but I'm not totally sure.  Your help is greatly appreciated.  Especially as I'm planning on submitting resumes and cover letters.

Capn

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,26394.0.html

Also, this thread has some posts made by Canadians now studying in the states. You might like to PM them and ask what they're doing...
this guy

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 10:18:05 PM »
As an F1 student, your employment opportunities are guided by the terms of your F1, NOT on the basis of being Canadian. 

The basic rule is that you can work off campus AFTER completing your first year of study, so 1L summer should be ok...

Here's a link to the answers... (excerpted here)

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=d6286c854523d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=54519c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

"You may be allowed to work on-campus or off-campus (after the completion of your first year of study) under limited circumstances. Please see the rules on student employment at 8 CFR 214.2 (f) . You may also wish to discuss employment with the designated school official (DSO) at your school. Your accompanying spouse and child may not accept employment."

A look at 8 CFR 214.2(f) gives us...

"(9)   Employment  --
. . . .
 "(ii)   Off-campus work authorization  --

"(A) General. An F-1 student may be authorized to work off-campus on a part-time basis in accordance with paragraph (f)(9)(ii)(B) or (C) of this section after having been in F-1 status for one full academic year provided that the student is in good academic standing as determined by the DSO. Part-time off-campus employment authorized under this section is limited to no more than twenty hours a week when school is in session. A student who is granted off-campus employment authorization may work full-time during holidays o r school vacation. The employment authorization is automatically terminated whenever the student fails to maintain status. In emergent circumstances as determined by the Commissioner, the Commissioner may suspend the applicability of any or all of the requirements of paragraph (f)(9)(ii) of this section by notice in the Federal Register . (Amended 6/10/98; 63 FR 31872 )"

So just talk to your DSO, and you should be fine!

PS PLEASE NOTE you may NOT work full-time on campus during the school year.  During the school year, work is limited to no more than 20 hours.  You may work up to 40 hours a week (full time) during the summer only.

capncanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 12:36:29 AM »
Wow!!!  Thanks for the info. Super-Strad and Anoddduck!!  This is really helpful and makes the situation hopeful!!  I will definitely get in touch with the DSO--most likely someone in the International Students' Office--and bring along a copy of the rules.

Thanks again!
Capn

P.S. Super-Strad, are you from Toronto?  That's my hometown.  Also, do you know Soo Bae?...she's a good friend of mine who is also a cellist.  She went to Curtis and is now an instructor at Julliard.

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 12:54:42 AM »
Wow!!!  Thanks for the info. Super-Strad and Anoddduck!!  This is really helpful and makes the situation hopeful!!  I will definitely get in touch with the DSO--most likely someone in the International Students' Office--and bring along a copy of the rules.

Thanks again!
Capn

P.S. Super-Strad, are you from Toronto? That's my hometown.  Also, do you know Soo Bae?...she's a good friend of mine who is also a cellist.  She went to Curtis and is now an instructor at Julliard.

Yes, I am, and YES I definitely know Soo and she knows me! :) I am also a Soo. Nice to meet you!!! Are you living in Toronto now? How do you know Soo?
this guy

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 12:56:49 AM »
The info here and on the canadian website sounds like what I've heard before: you get 1 year of OPT, which you can split however you like. Just a reminder however: there is a lot of paperwork involved, and you should expect bureaucracy to move slowly! Plan ahead. If I recall, one can expect 3-5 months to get the working permission.

Also, ABA rules cap work to 10 hrs/week during 1L
Penn (2007)

capncanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 02:05:54 PM »
Hey Soo Super-Strad!

I'm not in Toronto right now...although my family is still there.
Soo (Bae) and I (including her sister Soo-Hyun) go way way back.  We lost touch for a while and serendipitously met again while we were both in Philly...small world!  I'm sure you know her by way of the tiny Korean-Cellist-community in Toronto  :)
Anyway, it's nice meeting you!  Kick butt on the next LSAT!...even though you already have a kick-butt score!  And good luck in the Admissions cycle!!

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 02:42:05 PM »
As I've been looking into the F1 visa too I'm a bit concerned about the 40h/week for summer employment to be honest. I assume most law firms expect you to work more than that.