Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: summer law school  (Read 684 times)

lexylit

summer law school
« on: August 31, 2004, 02:21:39 PM »
is anyone seriously considering the michigan program and/or know a lot about it? a quarter of their students start at the beginning of the summer. i'm intrigued but i haven't found a ton of info on their website or in their viewbook  :-\

i would love to hear what potential UM people think about the whole thing...pros/cons etc.

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: summer law school
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 02:37:48 PM »
I, personally, don't think I would enjoy the ED, summer start that UM offers.  I will have just finished my M.S. and want a summer to do nothing (as if that ever happens on a break!).  I also would be afraid I would miss out on some of the law school experience.  But, I could see its advantages, particularly for those who want to finish law school early.

lexylit

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 02:38:59 PM »
but you don't have to apply ED to do summer start, as i understand it. agree?

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 02:42:03 PM »
Correct, good point.  I always just put the two together in my head because Mich doesn't have an EA and their ED automatically puts you into summer start, if I remember correctly.

inthesun

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 02:49:07 PM »
I read in Montauk that early start is offered to some applicants and they aren't even admitted until September (if they're admitted at all).  Kind of like a trial period.  I also read that it can be a good way to ease yourself into ls.

egg

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 04:50:52 PM »
I'm interested, but am not finished getting all of the details about it. Finishing early sounds great (more time to stress about the bar), as does additional scheduling flexibility in later years and the opportunity to do an international semester (I'm assuming that the head start could bring these things). And I'm not coming right out of college, so I don't really need a summer break to decompress- I've already been doing that for years.

The downside to the program is that midwestern summers are less pleasant than being attacked by bees.

nekko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 06:02:22 PM »
I'm curious about it. On its face it sounds interesting. Some questions that I have though are

1) How does this affect later scheduling with regards to recruitment periods? Does it give you an advantage? Can you start talking to firms earlier? Do you just end up with more classes under your belt when the recruitment periods start? Is there some disadvantage (you end up on some academic cycle which conflicts with everyone else's normal job search/recruitment periods)?

2) Do you end up in some weird social group? Do the summer people have a higher proportion of gunners and/or people I'll hate? Are these the folks you're forced to be friends with because you out of the cycle of all of the "normal" people who come in during the Fall?