Personal Statement Struggle Rant!

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
Re: Personal Statement Struggle Rant!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 01:58:53 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestions and opinions. The PS is starting to make a little more sense to me…and I feel a little more confident with what I have to bring to the table. I do not feel like I am on the wrong path any longer.

I do have another question though. If I do talk about my guidance counselor in my senior year of HS telling me that I should not go to college because I would never amount to anything, should I stay away from the drug addiction part all together… I could probably get away with just talk about being rebellious and having a problem with authority and what not instead of drugs. It was that point that was the wake up call that caused me to reassess and drop the bad habits, I am just not sure that I should go with drugs… I do not want to turn off ad coms or make them think I was a drug addict.

I know I have to be careful with this topic if I go with it for the entire statement and use it as a theme because as Jacy and KG said, I do not want to come off like I did all this to prove a few people wrong, however, it felt really nice to be able to do that. :)

KG, I agree with you, I would never write a PS about how not enjoying my jobs in the past makes me want to go to law school. I thank you for helping me dig through some of what I have on my plate. I never thought about adding in my studies now and my thesis, but I think it would be nice to integrate into the PS because it would show why I want to pursue law, and the steps that I took to get there.

I think I am going to try to talk about the naysayers and relate it to my current studies and how those studies led me to my interest in law. I am not sure what area of law my online gaming and privacy thesis touch on, I will have to look into it more deeply since it can touch on a few areas.

Thanks again for all the great advice! I do not know what I would do without this board…well I know I would still be staring blankly at a word document wonder where to go next.

~K

!@#$%

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 02:06:32 PM »
Next steps: 
1) Take any of the information you found useful (your thoughts included) and make a list. 
2) Arrange your list in some sort of logical order.  There's your very rough outline.
3) Add relevant details/other thoughts/ideas to the outline.
4) Narrate around the outline.  There's your first draft.

elisel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 05:31:56 PM »
I think you'd be wise to steer clear of mentioning drugs, unless you have an actual conviction or something that would make it obvious to the adcoms anyway.

swifty

• View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 03:06:47 AM »
feminist by any means, but I never let anyone put me down for being a woman or tell me that I could not do something because of my gender.

Gawd.  Don't mention that.  What if a dude reads it.  He will say she can't piss her name in snow like I can.  I bet I could run faster than her.  Don't bring that issue to the table. 

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 06:52:15 AM »
Everyone thanks much for your help! It is much appreciated. :)

Swifty... you pulled half a quote... I said "I AM NOT afeminist by any means, but I never let anyone put me down for being a woman or tell me that I could not do something because of my gender."

If some ad com read something like that and started to think...wow she cant write her name in the snow like i can, I would think he was a total cock and be extremely happy with my rejection letter from that school.

Miltra

• Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2004, 07:29:23 AM »
Everyone thanks much for your help! It is much appreciated. :)

Swifty... you pulled half a quote... I said "I AM NOT afeminist by any means, but I never let anyone put me down for being a woman or tell me that I could not do something because of my gender."

If some ad com read something like that and started to think...wow she cant write her name in the snow like i can, I would think he was a total cock and be extremely happy with my rejection letter from that school.

Why the reluctance to call yourself a feminist?  It's not a dirty word.  You are a strong, take no *&^% kind of woman who fights for what she wants.  If that isn't a feminist, I don't know what is. 

Not that you want to send the ashes of the bra you burned with your application... 

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 07:40:33 AM »

Why the reluctance to call yourself a feminist? It's not a dirty word. You are a strong, take no *&^% kind of woman who fights for what she wants. If that isn't a feminist, I don't know what is.

Not that you want to send the ashes of the bra you burned with your application...

Based on your definition, I would be a feminist, hands down, but I think of a feminist more as a person who takes action on a more public level for what she believes in (in respect to womans rights). Although I support and respect women who become what others told them they could never be, I never went so far as to protest for womens rights or anything of that nature.

So, no I do not think feminist is a dirty word, I just dont think I take enough action to embody the word feminist.

SNUGGLE

• Get some, get some!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004, 12:20:23 PM »
Pick your top five binges during your young and irresponsible days and then relate lessons you learned from each to your decision to go to law school.

nonobvious

• 167/3.66
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2004, 01:08:54 PM »
SNUGGLE you're so insensitive! I mean that's just ridiculous, how can anyone choose their "top five binges" -- it's like asking a parent to choose their favorite child...  :o

Ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2004, 09:38:55 PM »
I'd suggest staying far away from the drug topic.  While it does show that you overcame adversity, it may cause more harm than good.  It sounds like you've lived life at a feverish pace, and some adcoms may see a turn to drugs as cracking under the pressure.  Also, I'm still undecided about the quantity vs. quality dilemma.  I don't know if you should interweave all the stuff you've done or just focus on one thing in particular.  It's up to you.  Good luck.