Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Personal Statement Struggle Rant!  (Read 3120 times)

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
Re: Personal Statement Struggle Rant!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 03:58:53 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestions and opinions. The PS is starting to make a little more sense to me…and I feel a little more confident with what I have to bring to the table. I do not feel like I am on the wrong path any longer.

I do have another question though. If I do talk about my guidance counselor in my senior year of HS telling me that I should not go to college because I would never amount to anything, should I stay away from the drug addiction part all together… I could probably get away with just talk about being rebellious and having a problem with authority and what not instead of drugs. It was that point that was the wake up call that caused me to reassess and drop the bad habits, I am just not sure that I should go with drugs… I do not want to turn off ad coms or make them think I was a drug addict.

I know I have to be careful with this topic if I go with it for the entire statement and use it as a theme because as Jacy and KG said, I do not want to come off like I did all this to prove a few people wrong, however, it felt really nice to be able to do that. :)

KG, I agree with you, I would never write a PS about how not enjoying my jobs in the past makes me want to go to law school. I thank you for helping me dig through some of what I have on my plate. I never thought about adding in my studies now and my thesis, but I think it would be nice to integrate into the PS because it would show why I want to pursue law, and the steps that I took to get there.

I think I am going to try to talk about the naysayers and relate it to my current studies and how those studies led me to my interest in law. I am not sure what area of law my online gaming and privacy thesis touch on, I will have to look into it more deeply since it can touch on a few areas.

Thanks again for all the great advice! I do not know what I would do without this board…well I know I would still be staring blankly at a word document wonder where to go next.

~K
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 04:06:32 PM »
Next steps: 
1) Take any of the information you found useful (your thoughts included) and make a list. 
2) Arrange your list in some sort of logical order.  There's your very rough outline.
3) Add relevant details/other thoughts/ideas to the outline.
4) Narrate around the outline.  There's your first draft.

elisel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 07:31:56 PM »
I think you'd be wise to steer clear of mentioning drugs, unless you have an actual conviction or something that would make it obvious to the adcoms anyway.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 05:06:47 AM »
feminist by any means, but I never let anyone put me down for being a woman or tell me that I could not do something because of my gender.

Gawd.  Don't mention that.  What if a dude reads it.  He will say she can't piss her name in snow like I can.  I bet I could run faster than her.  Don't bring that issue to the table. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 08:52:15 AM »
Everyone thanks much for your help! It is much appreciated. :)

Swifty... you pulled half a quote... I said "I AM NOT afeminist by any means, but I never let anyone put me down for being a woman or tell me that I could not do something because of my gender."

If some ad com read something like that and started to think...wow she cant write her name in the snow like i can, I would think he was a total cock and be extremely happy with my rejection letter from that school.

Miltra

• Sr. Citizen
  • Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2004, 09:29:23 AM »
Everyone thanks much for your help! It is much appreciated. :)

Swifty... you pulled half a quote... I said "I AM NOT afeminist by any means, but I never let anyone put me down for being a woman or tell me that I could not do something because of my gender."

If some ad com read something like that and started to think...wow she cant write her name in the snow like i can, I would think he was a total cock and be extremely happy with my rejection letter from that school.

Why the reluctance to call yourself a feminist?  It's not a dirty word.  You are a strong, take no *&^% kind of woman who fights for what she wants.  If that isn't a feminist, I don't know what is. 

Not that you want to send the ashes of the bra you burned with your application... 

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 09:40:33 AM »

Why the reluctance to call yourself a feminist? It's not a dirty word. You are a strong, take no *&^% kind of woman who fights for what she wants. If that isn't a feminist, I don't know what is.

Not that you want to send the ashes of the bra you burned with your application...

Based on your definition, I would be a feminist, hands down, but I think of a feminist more as a person who takes action on a more public level for what she believes in (in respect to womans rights). Although I support and respect women who become what others told them they could never be, I never went so far as to protest for womens rights or anything of that nature.

So, no I do not think feminist is a dirty word, I just dont think I take enough action to embody the word feminist.

SNUGGLE

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get some, get some!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004, 02:20:23 PM »
Pick your top five binges during your young and irresponsible days and then relate lessons you learned from each to your decision to go to law school.
You better check yourself before you wreck yourself.

nonobvious

• Sr. Citizen
  • 167/3.66
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2004, 03:08:54 PM »
SNUGGLE you're so insensitive! I mean that's just ridiculous, how can anyone choose their "top five binges" -- it's like asking a parent to choose their favorite child...  :o
"Flying is simple. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2004, 11:38:55 PM »
I'd suggest staying far away from the drug topic.  While it does show that you overcame adversity, it may cause more harm than good.  It sounds like you've lived life at a feverish pace, and some adcoms may see a turn to drugs as cracking under the pressure.  Also, I'm still undecided about the quantity vs. quality dilemma.  I don't know if you should interweave all the stuff you've done or just focus on one thing in particular.  It's up to you.  Good luck.