Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Many HOurs per Week?  (Read 2367 times)

nathanielmark

How Many HOurs per Week?
« on: February 24, 2004, 11:59:18 AM »
Just from browsing this board I have learned i am a NT student.  Have a 3 month old son at home, a mortgage, and a full time job, 4 years out of college.  i also never graduated High School, but got a GED, then an associates degree, before I went for my Bachelors, so i guess i am even more Non-traditional.

anyway,  i am planning to go Part Time at night.  I am planning on continuing to work 40 hour weeks.  My guestion is, how many hours per week of quality study time are needed to do well in your first year of law school?

Are part time programs typically 3 nights a week, 4, 5? I was thinking if it was 3 nights a week, I could do 2 3 hour studies on the weeknights, then say 16-20 hours over the weekend.  Would this be sufficient?

Also, I know you can take summer classes.  I would like to take at least 1 summer class to lessen the load in fall.  Would 2 summer classes wind up being more demanding then 4 fall or spring classes?

Trying to utilize my time most effectively here.

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
Re: How Many HOurs per Week?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 04:38:11 PM »
If you go on a 3 night basis, 2 or 3 hours a night and weekend studies will probably be enough.  It depends on you.  How quickly you absorb the information will decide how much time you need.

Many evening programs offer 3, 4, and 5 night programs.  Check with the schools you are considering.  Some scholls like Cooley offer weekend programs.

Also, many part time programs are year round.  Otherwise, it will take you 5 plus years to graduate on a 3 night plan. The longer it takes you  to complete the degree the longer your odds are of passing the bar.

Visit www.lawschoolafterdark.com for links to 67 evening programs.

nathanielmark

Re: How Many HOurs per Week?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 04:43:29 PM »
Thanks.  Yeah I have already visited your site.  Its great, I saw all 5 of the schools I will be applying to listed.

Thats good to hear that the time I mentioned would be sufficient.  I am capable of working 3-4 hours a night on non-class nights and can put in 10 hour days on weekends if necessary.

I read something someone had posted in the boards saying that working full time Plus law school was next to impossible.  that kind of disturbed me.