Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: odd question  (Read 295 times)

asdfjkl;

• View Profile
odd question
« on: November 24, 2006, 08:56:22 PM »
The problem that environmental economics aims to remedy is the following: people making economic decisions cannot readily compare environmental factors, such as clean air and the survival of endangered species, with other costs and benefits. As environmental economists recognize, solving this problem requires assigning monetary values to environmental factors. But monetary values result from people comparing costs and benefits in order to arrive at economic decisions. Thus, environmental economics is stymied by what motivates it.

If the considerations advanced in its support are true, the passage's conclusion is supported

(A) strongly, on the assumption that monetary values for environmental factors cannot be assigned unless people make economic decisions about these factors
(B) strongly, unless economic decision-making has not yet had any effect on the things categorized as environmental factors
(C) at best weakly, because the passage fails to establish that economic decision-makers do not by an large take adequate account of environmental factors
(D) at best wewakly, because the argument assumes that pollution and other effects on environmental factors rarely result from economic decision-making
(E) not at all, since the argument is circular, taking that conclusion as one of its premises

the credited response is A. Any ideas?

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: odd question
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 09:11:42 PM »
The stimulus is saying that economists can't compare the value of environmental factors unless the value is associated with money.  Like, we know that clean air is a benefit to us, but economist would want to know the benefits in terms of money  - and if we want to know the benefits in terms of money someone would have to sit down and decide what the dollar amount would be. 
I dont know if I explained that very well, sorry.
University of Toledo 0L

guyminuslife

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fascism -- @#!* Yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 09:23:58 PM »
That is a weird question. Not a very good one, IMHO. Too subjective. Where's it from?

I mean, I see where they're going with it, and I kind of get why they picked A as opposed to the other choices, which suck, but I'd hope that kind of question doesn't pop up on my LSAT.

asdfjkl;

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 10:02:55 PM »
Thanks sweetpri, that's kind of what I was thinking but definitely not as concisely.

It's from a 1994 test, so it's probably no longer relevant -- but it was so odd that I couldn't help but be curious to see what other people would think.