Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ED question  (Read 873 times)

Barry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
ED question
« on: August 31, 2004, 01:43:30 PM »
Are you allowed to apply ED to more than 1 school?

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ED question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 01:45:33 PM »
No, not with most programs.  Schools share ED lists, and reserve the right to recind their offer if you do that.  However, some schools like Notre Dame have a quasi-binding early decision. Basically, you aren't bound to attend until you put down the first deposit, instead of being binded at the time of acceptance.  However, in general, only apply to one school early decision.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

Annie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do a little dance
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RiotGirl84
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 01:46:13 PM »
I think in doing so you would defeat the point that you really-really-really want to go to that particular school.

At any rate, I doubt any schools would allow that.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost.

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 01:49:13 PM »
It's not funny anymore.  

On the off-chance that this is not flame bait, please go to your library and read a book about law school admissions.

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 01:59:24 PM »
Dude, some people come here to read up on things precisely because going to the library or whatever is inconvenient.  I first came here myself looking to have my "stupid" questions answered, so I could know what was what when trying to apply to law school.  I stuck around because it's pretty fun to shoot the bull on these boards when there's nothing to do at work.

To answer the guy's question: Notre Dame's ED decision, as has been said, is only quasi-binding.  All the other ones I've seen are completely binding.  I've heard ED is a scam anyway... just apply early action everywhere you can and then send your apps. in as early as the others will accept them.  This should get comparable results without tying your hands.

If you don't understand the difference between early decision and early action, feel free to ask.  This whole thing confused me at the beginning too.

ZAP

It's not funny anymore.  

On the off-chance that this is not flame bait, please go to your library and read a book about law school admissions.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 02:11:07 PM »
Very understandable that he might not want to go to the library.  However, doing a search on early decision would bring up a whole load of info, more so than he'd probably get by asking directly.

If a person thinks that they are the only one to have a question about early decision, *especially* when there are hundreds of posts on the general board, then perhaps they *should* go to the library and pick up a book.

I'm all about being helpful, but there comes a point when I just can't answer the same question that was asked twice in teh last week.

Maybe there should be a little note when you go to start a new topic nicely suggesting or reminding you to search for your answer as well. 

Dude, some people come here to read up on things precisely because going to the library or whatever is inconvenient.  I first came here myself looking to have my "stupid" questions answered, so I could know what was what when trying to apply to law school.  I stuck around because it's pretty fun to shoot the bull on these boards when there's nothing to do at work.

To answer the guy's question: Notre Dame's ED decision, as has been said, is only quasi-binding.  All the other ones I've seen are completely binding.  I've heard ED is a scam anyway... just apply early action everywhere you can and then send your apps. in as early as the others will accept them.  This should get comparable results without tying your hands.

If you don't understand the difference between early decision and early action, feel free to ask.  This whole thing confused me at the beginning too.

ZAP

It's not funny anymore.  

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 02:15:43 PM »
All of that's true, but some people use this forum as a resource and they're very new to it all.  While one would hope they might look at earlier threads to see if their question's already been answered, maybe this isn't obvious for everyone who's new to this whole thing (not only law school, but internet message boards).  I like to give people the benefit of the doubt whenever possible.  This seemed like an honest question to me, and I'm always happy to try to help someone out.  I understand that it can get aggravating to you to answer the same question over and over.  In that case, just don't answer those questions.  I'm sure someone else will get to them. ;D

ZAP

Very understandable that he might not want to go to the library.  However, doing a search on early decision would bring up a whole load of info, more so than he'd probably get by asking directly.

If a person thinks that they are the only one to have a question about early decision, *especially* when there are hundreds of posts on the general board, then perhaps they *should* go to the library and pick up a book.

I'm all about being helpful, but there comes a point when I just can't answer the same question that was asked twice in teh last week.

Maybe there should be a little note when you go to start a new topic nicely suggesting or reminding you to search for your answer as well. 

ZAP

It's not funny anymore.  

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 02:24:40 PM »
Jacy, honestly, what do you care if people ask the same question?  Last time I checked, Andrew was the administrator, not you.  In addition, this is a public law school discussion board.  People are allowed to ask whatever question they want to. 

If you want a defense for people asking the same question twice, one point is that different people are on at different times of the day.  Perhaps a person who has a valid point wasn't on when the original post was initiated.  More opinions is a good thing, not a bad.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why you are so defensive about people asking legitimate questions, even if they have been asked before.  If you don't like a question, then just don't reply.  Ironically, but replying and mocking person you are bumping the thread, allowing it to remain in existance for longer.  If you truly think a thread is frivilous, the best thing you can do is not respond and let it die.

Thanks and Gig 'Em
Jason

Very understandable that he might not want to go to the library. However, doing a search on early decision would bring up a whole load of info, more so than he'd probably get by asking directly.

ZAP

It's not funny anymore. 

dr_draino

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 02:34:34 PM »
I've got Candide and Jaycs back on this one...this fella has asked multiple idiotic questions and has had the nerve to, after getting several answers from reputable sources, ask if he could get further confirmation.  If someone comes on here to ask how many LORs BC requires, they should be female dog-slapped verbally...

We are all working hard to learn this process and are willing to share the information we gather...with others that are working hard to learn about the process.

It's not funny anymore.  

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 02:38:52 PM »
Okay, you are using one extreme example.  In that case, obviously that person is just being rude.  However, I still don't understand the big deal.  By responding and complaining, all you are doing is bumping the thread.  In addition, there is no need to be rude to a new person who is asking a question.  That just drives off people with legitmate law school related question, and we some more of those on this board lately..

Thank and Gig 'Em,
Jason

I've got Candide and Jaycs back on this one...this fella has asked multiple idiotic questions and has had the nerve to, after getting several answers from reputable sources, ask if he could get further confirmation. If someone comes on here to ask how many LORs BC requires, they should be female dog-slapped verbally...

We are all working hard to learn this process and are willing to share the information we gather...with others that are working hard to learn about the process.

It's not funny anymore.