Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU Scholarships?  (Read 28377 times)

Pink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NYU Scholarships?
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2007, 10:37:55 PM »
My beef with the 4/11 date is that they're having an ASD on 4/13. What the @#!*?!

titcr.  It makes no sense.  What exactly does accepting the offer mean?  Do you have to send in your deposit?  I would e-mail the dean of admissions or someone who has a vested interest in your enrollment.  But this behavior does scare me.  My UG experience was as enjoyable as it was because the administration was willing to work with you.  So far, NYU has shown 0 capacity to do that.  
HLS '10

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2007, 10:41:33 PM »
My beef with the 4/11 date is that they're having an ASD on 4/13. What the @#!*?!

titcr.  It makes no sense.  What exactly does accepting the offer mean?  Do you have to send in your deposit?  I would e-mail the dean of admissions or someone who has a vested interest in your enrollment.  But this behavior does scare me.  My UG experience was as enjoyable as it was because the administration was willing to work with you.  So far, NYU has shown 0 capacity to do that.  

Actually, it's TITCB. B for Beef.

From what I understand, you have to send in your intent to enroll (presumably along with your deposit), but I don't believe the scholarship offer (or deposit, of course) is binding. Still, I don't have $450 dollars to just throw around.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

formerapplicant

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2007, 10:54:06 PM »
From what I understand, you have to send in your intent to enroll (presumably along with your deposit), but I don't believe the scholarship offer (or deposit, of course) is binding. Still, I don't have $450 dollars to just throw around.

The wording, in its original bold:
As our resources are limited and we wish to allocate this funding to those that will attend NYU School of Law, we require that you submit your intention to enroll and acceptance deposit by 04/11/2007.

ImpactPlayer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2007, 10:59:14 PM »
Ridiculous.  They really don't give you very long to consider their offer.  Not even enough time to go to the next ASW. 

jackietob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2007, 11:02:57 PM »
So basically we all would have been better off not completing our aid apps until mid-April!  AHH!

newtothis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2007, 11:21:05 PM »
So basically we all would have been better off not completing our aid apps until mid-April!  AHH!

It sucks even more if you think of it that way.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=newtothis
Updated with $$ offers
Stats are now unfudged

FunkyzeitmitBruno

• Sr. Citizen
  • please fire this man
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2007, 11:55:07 PM »
I wonder if NYU admin ppl are reading this thread (or care if they are). This strict April 11th deposit date is pissing everyone off and really makes no sense in so many ways (no chance for appeal, 3-4 weeks before most schools' deadlines including their old deadline, and its before their last ASD). I don't expect NYU to keep its 4th spot if they keep treating their potential scholarship students this way.

yup...more venting from me, been in this mood ever since getting my NYU award.

JuanTwoThree

• Sr. Citizen
  • Arnold is numero uno
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2007, 11:59:46 PM »
I wonder if NYU admin ppl are reading this thread (or care if they are). This strict April 11th deposit date is pissing everyone off and really makes no sense in so many ways (no chance for appeal, 3-4 weeks before most schools' deadlines including their old deadline, and its before their last ASD). I don't expect NYU to keep its 4th spot if they keep treating their potential scholarship students this way.

I refuse to bind myself to anything until I've visited Chicago and Stanford and Columbia have responded. If they want me to make a fake verbal commitment then I will give them that.

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 03, 2007, 12:04:50 AM »

Reading this thread would imply that the NYU staff actually cared about what their prospective students thought, so I doubt it.
UPenn '10

krockband

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2007, 12:49:52 AM »
I asked them to extend the 4/11 deadline - they wouldn't.

How did you ask them? Phone? E-mail?

If this is the stance they'll be taking, we're doomed. Curse us for having gotten our financial aid forms in early!