Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU Scholarships?  (Read 28905 times)

kirsten11235

• View Profile
Re: NYU Scholarships?
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2007, 04:38:26 PM »
As you guys can tell from my posts I was a bit disgruntled about my NYU Financial Aid package.  :-[

Well I called them today, and I got the same response from both Financial Aid office and Admissions office.  You can file an appeal concerning your award, but they will not be able to look at it until May at the earliest.  Therefore you have to either reject or accept their current offer by April 11 and then hope for the best in May.  But obviously there is only a very slim chance that they might reconsider your offer after you have already agreed to attend the school.  

By the way, based on this information, I donít know if NYU will be very generous in terms of extending the acceptance deadline past April 11 for those of you who were hoping for this.

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2007, 04:43:33 PM »
If you guys were still wondering about the March 30th NYU admitted students day, I really enjoyed it. The faculty was wonderful and the students seemed really happy. I'm also a big fan of the Village area, so that made me a little more biased. I'll probably go there this fall, barring any miracle scholarship money from Boalt.

I went too.  In fact, I sat at the same table as stjobs for lunch.  I was the one trying to get the conversation going.  I didn't get a terribly lively bunch.  I think we were all nervous though.  Some nervous don't talk (most people), some nervous people talk more (that's me).  Anyways, I really enjoyed the visit too.  It basically confirmed the good impression that I already had.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jalong

Saints: Rutgers ($$$), NYU ($)
Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Looks like:  NYU '10

Schruted

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2007, 04:46:15 PM »
I didn't fill out any forms for NYU's scholarships. Just making sure, but I'm not getting anything, right?
NYU 2010

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 02, 2007, 04:48:44 PM »
I didn't fill out any forms for NYU's scholarships. Just making sure, but I'm not getting anything, right?

If you didnt apply for the named scholarships, I think you can still get something else (this thread seems to have evolved from being about waiting to hear on named scholarships to being about what fin aid packages people are getting).

But you have to have filled out the fin aid form online in the admitted students section.  If you did that, then you could get something.  If you didn't, then I don't think you get anything.  They just assume that you'll be taking it out of your trust fund.

Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Schruted

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 02, 2007, 04:56:32 PM »

If you didnt apply for the named scholarships, I think you can still get something else (this thread seems to have evolved from being about waiting to hear on named scholarships to being about what fin aid packages people are getting).

But you have to have filled out the fin aid form online in the admitted students section.  If you did that, then you could get something.  If you didn't, then I don't think you get anything.  They just assume that you'll be taking it out of your trust fund.

Yeah... my parents said to not even bother, because I might look like a fool asking for financial aid.

Michigan gave me a lot of money without me filling anything out, so I was just wondering if NYU ever does that. I guess not.
NYU 2010

FunkyzeitmitBruno

• Sr. Citizen
  • please fire this man
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
As you guys can tell from my posts I was a bit disgruntled about my NYU Financial Aid package.  :-[

Well I called them today, and I got the same response from both Financial Aid office and Admissions office.  You can file an appeal concerning your award, but they will not be able to look at it until May at the earliest.  Therefore you have to either reject or accept their current offer by April 11 and then hope for the best in May.  But obviously there is only a very slim chance that they might reconsider your offer after you have already agreed to attend the school.  

By the way, based on this information, I donít know if NYU will be very generous in terms of extending the acceptance deadline past April 11 for those of you who were hoping for this.

Add me to the disgruntled list. It is pretty ridiculous, the policy you just posted. They don't review appeals until well after the acceptance deadline. So basically the appeal is useless. If you reject the award, you wouldn't need an appeal. If you accept, what incentive do they have to adjust the amount?

Pink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 02, 2007, 05:17:35 PM »

Well I called them today, and I got the same response from both Financial Aid office and Admissions office.  You can file an appeal concerning your award, but they will not be able to look at it until May at the earliest.  Therefore you have to either reject or accept their current offer by April 11 and then hope for the best in May.  But obviously there is only a very slim chance that they might reconsider your offer after you have already agreed to attend the school.  

I agree that waiting until May to decide on appeals is pretty ridiculous.  >:( But I would be surprised if the bolded is true.  Did NYU actually tell you that people submitting appeals will not be given an extension so that they can consider the results of that appeal in their decision?
HLS '10

krockband

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 02, 2007, 05:38:33 PM »

Sounds like they are trying to keep us from considering competing offers from peer schools. I've got to attend Chicago's ASW (4/13) and CLS' Monday event (4/16) before I can make a final decision, and if they don't extend the deadline it means that they're essentially trying to force my hand when I've got incomplete information.

I'm also planning on appealing (hey, it can't hurt to ask for more $$$), but now it looks like I won't get a decision before I have to make deposits.

ALl in all very disappointing :(

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 02, 2007, 05:47:37 PM »
I'm tempted to think, good, more money for me.  But by 4/11, I'll probably already have my offer, so why do they need to know right now?  Most of their "top choice" students have been accepted long ago, and so presumably would be in the first batch of fin aid offers.  Something isn't adding up on this.

Sinners:

bonkers1234

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 02, 2007, 06:49:39 PM »
aaaaaaaaaand just got the email. nothing for bonkers! not that surprised. oh well, i'm deferring a year anyway so it's not that relevant. also leaning towards gtown now.