Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU Scholarships?  (Read 28678 times)

////

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NYU Scholarships?
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2007, 06:56:54 PM »
Official - no money for Monkey. Not that I expected any.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2007, 07:01:23 PM »
Paaaaam, is this changing anything?

:-\  I kind of think maybe not.  If anything, it made me more sure that I don't want NYU, because my first thought was "crap, why didn't I get this before I wrote to Penn asking for money?"  I know that I'm practically the only person on this board who thinks this, but I really can't see myself spending three  years in the village.  If CLS gave me the same offer (ha), it would be a different ballgame.

me too..thus the reason i didn't even apply--but i'm from NY so i'm more blase about the village than others.
Columbia 3L

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2007, 07:02:23 PM »

:-\  I kind of think maybe not.  If anything, it made me more sure that I don't want NYU, because my first thought was "crap, why didn't I get this before I wrote to Penn asking for money?"  I know that I'm practically the only person on this board who thinks this, but I really can't see myself spending three  years in the village.  If CLS gave me the same offer (ha), it would be a different ballgame.

I of course disagree about the village but also of course wholeheartedly approve of your implicit love of Philadelphia. (You should totally email Penn anyway about the NYU money. What with the new rankings and all--that's the one language Penn really understands.)
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2007, 07:06:03 PM »

me too..thus the reason i didn't even apply--but i'm from NY so i'm more blase about the village than others.

Yeah, I'm not from NY, but I spent about half my life near enough to it (between living in a north NJ commuter town and going to college in Boston) that I've already had my days of partying in the village.  I don't really feel the need to go back to all the bars/record shops/etc that I frequented when I was underage.  ;)
UPenn '10

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2007, 07:10:09 PM »

I of course disagree about the village but also of course wholeheartedly approve of your implicit love of Philadelphia. (You should totally email Penn anyway about the NYU money. What with the new rankings and all--that's the one language Penn really understands.)

Philadelphia is highly underrated.  Which is okay with me, because I like the diversity and don't really want the entire population of Brooklyn hipsters to invade and make it so I can never get tickets to shows.  :) 

(I'll probably write to Penn on Monday or Tuesday if I don't hear anything, because I checked and NYU gave me the same 4/11 deadline, and since I'm leaving the country on the 9th, I need to get this all figured out.)
UPenn '10

bonkers1234

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2007, 07:24:13 PM »
Yes I meant 37 over three years, so 15 for the first 2 and 7 for the last one.  I am so mad about this, I read in this thread that people with much worse LSAT than me got much higher packages, that is unfair. 

heh.

1) life is unfair
2) a good number of people applied for and received one of the named scholarships
3) LSAT isn't everything

is that really true about #2? I thought we had come to the consensus that that wasn't really the case. no one here got IILJ, there were like two anne brycepeople? or something like that? one IP award... thats all ive seen

Considering sample size (applicants to NYU who post on LSD, applicants to one of these named scholarships, recipients of these named scholarships), it doesn't seem like that small a number.

*not* sure i agree...

newtothis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2007, 07:31:22 PM »
For the email, does it link you back to the financial aid application page under the admitted students section? Is this where everyone is seeing their award amounts?

I forgot which email I used for the finaid app ???

Come on, someone please answer this.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=newtothis
Updated with $$ offers
Stats are now unfudged

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2007, 07:50:54 PM »
For the email, does it link you back to the financial aid application page under the admitted students section? Is this where everyone is seeing their award amounts?

The link in my email is to:

https://its.law.nyu.edu/finaid/awards/

And it tells you to log in with your SSN and password.
UPenn '10

FunkyzeitmitBruno

• Sr. Citizen
  • please fire this man
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2007, 07:53:19 PM »
I didn't see this mentioned before, but at least for my scholarship, I have to decide by April 11th. 11 days...

Also got the earlier acceptance date on my award notification. I'm sorry to vent too much but did anyone actually look at the cost of attendance (which was last year's figure, this year expect 2-4k increase) and expected contribution.

Like I know a few ppl where the expected contribution is only 1-2k (i.e. should qualify for need money) and got no money from NYU. In other words, NYU thinks its totally reasonable that a person take out 60k+ in loans per year, despite being in need.

newtothis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2007, 08:30:13 PM »

The link in my email is to:

https://its.law.nyu.edu/finaid/awards/

And it tells you to log in with your SSN and password.

Thanks!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=newtothis
Updated with $$ offers
Stats are now unfudged