Law School Discussion

NYU Scholarships?

Ted Buckland, ESQ

• Leverage??... Torts??...Ruth Bader who???
    • View Profile
Re: NYU Scholarships?
« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2007, 11:23:09 AM »
Anyone who said that NYU's aid is anything but merit aid is terribly mistaken.

////

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2007, 11:23:25 AM »
I'd be okay with $37,500 .. I'd be okay with anything. I feel like zero = NYU doesn't really like me. Or maybe I'm just weird.

Most schools give grants to approx 1/3 of their students. Does that mean that they hate the other 2/3?

I don't think there really is a need/merit based distinction for most schools. They just give tuition discounts to their top admits to make the school more attractive.

Pink

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 02, 2007, 11:29:10 AM »
I'd be okay with $37,500 .. I'd be okay with anything. I feel like zero = NYU doesn't really like me. Or maybe I'm just weird.

Without addressing the merits of your "zero=nyu doesn't really like me" conclusion  :-X, I suggest you try to get them to match offers from comparable schools.

« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2007, 11:36:59 AM »
do you all feel like they are done giving out merit aid?

« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2007, 11:39:23 AM »
I got a little bit, but I am not sure it is enough.

stjobs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2007, 11:47:24 AM »
Done? You aren't going to get a second amount after the initial offer. Not sure what the question is.

« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2007, 11:49:04 AM »
I called admissions today. Apparently, I'm gonna get an offer on the 5th via email. Of course, it will probably be for nothing.

jalong

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2007, 11:51:14 AM »
Done? You aren't going to get a second amount after the initial offer. Not sure what the question is.

I think the question is:  If I haven't gotten my offer yet, does that mean that I'm not getting any aid?

I don't know the answer, but I'm guessing not since somewhere on the website I recall them mentioning that aid apps are considered roughly in order its received.

« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2007, 12:38:29 PM »
If you guys were still wondering about the March 30th NYU admitted students day, I really enjoyed it. The faculty was wonderful and the students seemed really happy. I'm also a big fan of the Village area, so that made me a little more biased. I'll probably go there this fall, barring any miracle scholarship money from Boalt.

« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2007, 01:32:14 PM »
Did everyone else's award come with an April 11th deadline to accept?  I had been planning to visit NYU the week after that, and am headed to a different admit weekend on April 14 so there's no way I can commit by that date. Is anyone planning to ask for a deadline extension?

I got the 20,20,10 scholarship from NYU too (with the 4/11 deadline). I am still waiting to hear from HYS and would like to ask for an extension from NYU. What is a good way to ask for extension? Is it better to call or email?

btw, I just called Stanford today and was told that a decision had just been sent out... guess that is a ding.  They will call you if they accept you right?