Law School Discussion

NYU Scholarships?

Re: NYU Scholarships?
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2007, 12:58:58 PM »
I'm so mad at myself.  I finally got around to getting all the parent info from my mom this morning, and right after i submitted it, I saw a chart that told me if i had done it yesterday, i would have been in the 4/5 batch of letters; now i'm 4/15.

« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2007, 01:03:16 PM »
I don't think NYU gives anything above tuition, which is 39K, so I doubt you'll get much more than you're getting...(btw, for need-based, I think that they, like most schools, require you to take out a minimum of the 20500 from fed. loans, so even if they did increase your scholarship, it'd only be the total student budget minus the fed loans...the difference would only work out to a couple of thousand a year)

I think she meant 37k over all 3 years, not 37k a year.

« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2007, 01:09:30 PM »
Yes I meant 37 over three years, so 15 for the first 2 and 7 for the last one.  I am so mad about this, I read in this thread that people with much worse LSAT than me got much higher packages, that is unfair. 

« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2007, 01:19:02 PM »
Yes I meant 37 over three years, so 15 for the first 2 and 7 for the last one.  I am so mad about this, I read in this thread that people with much worse LSAT than me got much higher packages, that is unfair. 

heh.

1) life is unfair
2) a good number of people applied for and received one of the named scholarships
3) LSAT isn't everything

« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2007, 01:34:56 PM »
Yeah I know life is not fair, but there is random bad luck and there are systematic decisions that are made because of a certain controversial policy schools have pertaining to applicants (you know which one I am talking about).

But what ever.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2007, 01:39:53 PM »
Apparently NYU wasn't kidding about UP TO FULL TUITION when describing their Academic Scholar's Program.

I just got the IP Award...but the joke's on me. The award is just 25k over 3 years.

Edit: Clearly eliminating the interview process means this "program" is just tacking on a name to a no-named award. Oh yeah, they're giving me a shorter deadline to respond too (April 11th vs. May 4th).

Congrats, dude!

« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2007, 01:40:17 PM »
Yeah I know life is not fair, but there is random bad luck and there are systematic decisions that are made because of a certain controversial policy schools have pertaining to applicants (you know which one I am talking about).

But what ever.

Yep, but that belongs in a different forum.

What are your other choices besides NYU?

« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2007, 01:41:06 PM »
I just received the award package . It is nothing compared to what other schools gave me.  I received a full scholarship from Northwestern and NYU gave me 37,000.  Does anyone know if people have been successful negotiating higher packages from NYU?  By the way I have already told them about my Northwestern award.

Try to match to a Columbia/Chicago scholarship and they may blink.  I doubt NYU matches Northwestern, and I know for a fact that other schools like Berkeley do NOT match Northwestern.

« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2007, 01:45:07 PM »
Yeah I may just do that, Michigan gave a pretty good offer.... It looks like I am not the only applicant who got a sub par financial aid package, I wonder if NYU is being cocky because of the recent rise in ratings.     

« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2007, 02:09:52 PM »

heh.

1) life is unfair
2) a good number of people applied for and received one of the named scholarships
3) LSAT isn't everything

is that really true about #2? I thought we had come to the consensus that that wasn't really the case. no one here got IILJ, there were like two anne brycepeople? or something like that? one IP award... thats all ive seen