Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bad News on thanksgiving eve  (Read 9327 times)

Talthara

• View Profile
Re: Bad News on thanksgiving eve
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2006, 05:55:09 PM »
From Einstein earlier:

"You keep assuming things that are clearly unwarranted"

No, you are.  Sorry, I'd the post itself but I'm too lazy right now.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2006, 05:59:36 PM »
From Einstein earlier:

"You keep assuming things that are clearly unwarranted"

No, you are.  Sorry, I'd the post itself but I'm too lazy right now.

Einstein is the irony of all ironies.  Seriously.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2006, 02:25:19 AM »
Wow, 8 pages? I have stirred up a discussion.

I thank those who seem to know what I am about and what I want.

I am not going into law school thinking I am going to score a big law job.

I am happy I am going to law school but I am not delusional thinking that everything will be cake from here on out. My challenge is just begining and I know, I must work extremely hard  to reach my dream.

Basically, I enjoy the law and look forward to pursuing my career in law.

I am looking forward to being succesful and I believe yes, even at a tier 4 law school, while challenging, this is possible.I have done my research and I know ( I communicate with on a regular basis) numerous lawyers who went to tier 4 law schools in california and whom are successful. They are either working at medium size firms or have their own firm.

The vibe I am getting from some of you is that with a tier 4 school, I am destined for doom. I am not. I, as I have done in the past, will make the best of the situation. I know what my options are. I know what to expect.

Its not all about the money for me. I know, at the end of the day, you have to think about your wallet.
Doing research, in southern california, where I am planing to practice, those coming out of a tier 4 are expected to make about $60,000 starting. (median salary)

I have talked to numerous other lawywers ( getting in touch via martindale) and the overall tone seems to be there are options for you, if you work hard and do well in law school.

I have worked so hard to get where I am at now. With god on my side, and my dedication and discipline, I believe I can succeed.

For everyone, I thank you for giving me you're opinions. Just because they differ from mine does not mean I do not value them. I, however, will not allow anyone to tell me I cannot or will not succeed because the school I attend is a tier 4.That is nonsense.

Good luck to all of you waiting for you're application decisions.

lsdreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2006, 02:53:26 AM »
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but ithappensforareason, you and I seem to have the same passion for studying law, and the same determination. I am in a bit of a situation and wanted to get some feedback. Here's my story...I want to be a disability rights lawyer. I've been working for Special Olympics for 6 years, where I manage programs for 2,000 athletes with developmental disabilities and hundreds of volunteer coaches. I love my job, but want a change and I believe the law is where I can make a difference. 

Here's the "problem".  I graduated with honors, but did not do well on the LSAT...I did study hard and re-took the test, only to raise it by a couple points. I have applied to schools for the last two years, only to get rejected from every school.  I was on the Wait List at Thomas Jefferson and just got an admission packet in the mail on December 12th! I was so happy, but I would need to start January 16th. My boss, along with all our staff, are on vacation for the next 2 weeks. So, if I choose to attend, I'd be giving my work 2 weeks notice (while they're on vacation) for a job I've had for 6 years and involves tons of work. I respect and really like my boss and everyone I work with. I'd hate to put them in such a terrible position. I know I need to look out for myself, but I'm big on integrity and want to go out "the right way" from my career.

The other side of this is that I fear I may not get another shot at going anywhere. I am from San Diego and want to live there, but 3 weeks notice! I don't even have financal aid lined up yet.  I know no one can answer this but me, but I'd love to get some feedback.  I did ask about deferring until fall and they said "no". 

I was hesitant to post this b/c I know I'm opening myself up to mean spirited trolls, bashing TJ and all T4's, but I am confident that I can do well and make a great career for myself as a lawyer.  Thanks in advance for any feedback!  :)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2006, 03:46:44 AM »
You wouldn't be doing yourself any favors by jumping into this headlong, especially if you don't have financial aid lined up yet.

HOW did you study for the LSAT?  How long?  What was your problem?  I firmly believe that anyone that studies enough (with a modicum of intelligence) and studies PROPERLY can achieve around a 160.

I'd rewrite again in June if I were you.  Don't jump into it like this.  The notice is too short.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

hereshopin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2006, 02:58:17 PM »
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but ithappensforareason, you and I seem to have the same passion for studying law, and the same determination. I am in a bit of a situation and wanted to get some feedback. Here's my story...I want to be a disability rights lawyer. I've been working for Special Olympics for 6 years, where I manage programs for 2,000 athletes with developmental disabilities and hundreds of volunteer coaches. I love my job, but want a change and I believe the law is where I can make a difference. 

Here's the "problem".  I graduated with honors, but did not do well on the LSAT...I did study hard and re-took the test, only to raise it by a couple points. I have applied to schools for the last two years, only to get rejected from every school.  I was on the Wait List at Thomas Jefferson and just got an admission packet in the mail on December 12th! I was so happy, but I would need to start January 16th. My boss, along with all our staff, are on vacation for the next 2 weeks. So, if I choose to attend, I'd be giving my work 2 weeks notice (while they're on vacation) for a job I've had for 6 years and involves tons of work. I respect and really like my boss and everyone I work with. I'd hate to put them in such a terrible position. I know I need to look out for myself, but I'm big on integrity and want to go out "the right way" from my career.

The other side of this is that I fear I may not get another shot at going anywhere. I am from San Diego and want to live there, but 3 weeks notice! I don't even have financal aid lined up yet.  I know no one can answer this but me, but I'd love to get some feedback.  I did ask about deferring until fall and they said "no". 

I was hesitant to post this b/c I know I'm opening myself up to mean spirited trolls, bashing TJ and all T4's, but I am confident that I can do well and make a great career for myself as a lawyer.  Thanks in advance for any feedback!  :)

this is just my vote, but dont do it. Its not worth f-ing up a 6 year job that youve had and love and may consider coming back to later just to start a law school so soon. tell tj tough *&^%, but you cant start so soon. if they wont let you deferr, drop, and apply again next year to other schools. you can and will get into other places, especially if you retake the lsat. dont let them boss you around already.
DeVry Tech '10

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2007, 01:04:55 AM »
Everyone told me I wouldn't have a shot at most schools that I applied to with my numbers. So far, I am doing well.

Thomas jefferson- Accepted w/scholarship
La Verne- accepted w/scholarship

Western State- Rejected ( Bizaree because TJ is supposed to be way harder to get into)

Chapman- MY reach. WAITLISTED..  All the admission calculators said I had no chance. In fact, I forgot which one, but one calculator said I have .01 chance. Most that I talked said I have no chance and why waste my app fee? Because I believe I had a chance. Looks like chapman sees something positive in me not to reject me right away atleast. I know, waitlists are tough to get off of.

Any recommendations on what I can do to increase my chances of getting off waitlist?

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2007, 01:47:49 AM »
Everyone told me I wouldn't have a shot at most schools that I applied to with my numbers. So far, I am doing well.

Western State- Rejected ( Bizaree because TJ is supposed to be way harder to get into)

Chapman- MY reach. WAITLISTED..  All the admission calculators said I had no chance. In fact, I forgot which one, but one calculator said I have .01 chance. Most that I talked said I have no chance and why waste my app fee? Because I believe I had a chance. Looks like chapman sees something positive in me not to reject me right away atleast. I know, waitlists are tough to get off of.

Any recommendations on what I can do to increase my chances of getting off waitlist?

Send:
1) Letter of Continued Interest
2) Updated grades/Resume/Anything updateable
3) Additional Letter of Rec.
4) A writing sample (if they'll take it).

Congrats on a nice cycle.
VIP.

lsdreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2007, 02:12:43 AM »

Congratulations on all your success! Re: the waitlist. I'd send updates every month to the dean of admissions...just a letter, underscoring your interest in their school, updates on any awards you've won, volunteer work you're doing. Basically, you want to keep yourself on their radar and get them familliar with your name and what you're about. That way, when they're comparing you to other applicants, you have an edge b/c you've shown continued interest.  They like that. Good luck!  ;D

lsdreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2007, 02:18:29 AM »

Congratulations on all your success! Re: the waitlist. I'd send updates every month to the dean of admissions...just a letter, underscoring your interest in their school, updates on any awards you've won, volunteer work you're doing. Basically, you want to keep yourself on their radar and get them familliar with your name and what you're about. That way, when they're comparing you to other applicants, you have an edge b/c you've shown continued interest.  They like that. Good luck!  ;D

Oh yeah...and I'd put the letter on nice resume paper and fedex/ups it over to them, that way you show you're serious, and then call to make sure they've received it.  I think sending updates via snail mail rather than emails is much more professional-that's just my opinion. I don't think it's good to hound the admissions dept., but keeping in touch consistently is a good idea. And although I know schools don't offer interviews very often, I'd offer to "talk more with them about why you'd be an excellent fit for their law program."  :)