Law School Discussion

"Online Personas".....beware of what you disclose on here...

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: "Online Personas".....beware of what you disclose on here...
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2006, 08:15:55 AM »
I can certainly see an admissions dept viewing these forums from time to time. I think if I were in their shoes I would want to hear "the word on the street" about a program or a prof, etc.

But I can hardly believe that they have the manpower or the resources to clearly identify the majority of posters based on their posts, stats, etc., and the most "personal" they could get to identifying a poster would be to track their IP address. 

There's a poster on this board whose user name is actually my real first name. Should I be alarmed that adcomms at the schools I have applied to will now think that this person is ME? I give the adcomms more credit than that-- yes, I believe that they read these boards and in some cases can out someone who has been foolish enough to express a poor thought and also leave enough indicators so that someone could identify him. I do believe, too, that there is some Facebook and MySpace page reviewing going on. You should always keep your web profiles on private, for reasons other than a admissions dept googling your name.

But I can't imagine that "applicant googling" at the level where we shoud be completely paranoid. Play nice, do your homework, submit a good application and as with anything on the internet, maintain a reasonable level of anonymity for personal safety, if nothing else.

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2006, 08:49:44 AM »
There's a poster on this board whose user name is actually my real first name. Should I be alarmed that adcomms at the schools I have applied to will now think that this person is ME?

my bad

/catch you later, jer

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2006, 09:08:57 AM »
Too add a little more spice to this thread, what if some LS has admistrator account to lsd? or even better what if some LS in T14 founded LSD. Then there is no need to hide, because your IP will so clearly show who you are. Darn, that is scary.  :P

Vick

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2006, 09:09:56 AM »
Damn. Cooley, if you'r reading this i'm truly sorry for badmouthing you for so long. Please don't reject me based on my internet persona. I'm a much better person in life.
Kind Regards,
lonewolf

Not that I'm accusing you of anything, just using your post as an example. 

How do you think adcomms would view the bashing of some schools other than their own?  Take, for example, the common name for Tier 3 schools, Tier Three Toilet.  Does the fact that an applicant engages in extreme elitism and bashing of other schools reflect negatively, especially when that applicant may not have first hand experience with the school itself? 

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2006, 09:16:09 AM »
Damn. Cooley, if you'r reading this i'm truly sorry for badmouthing you for so long. Please don't reject me based on my internet persona. I'm a much better person in life.
Kind Regards,
lonewolf

How do you think adcomms would view the bashing of some schools other than their own?  Take, for example, the common name for Tier 3 schools, Tier Three Toilet.  Does the fact that an applicant engages in extreme elitism and bashing of other schools reflect negatively, especially when that applicant may not have first hand experience with the school itself? 
I personally do not like it. So I assume someone in the adcom will not. But I doubt they would put much negative thought on that poster though.

Geo_Storm

• I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2006, 09:19:43 AM »
Kind Regards,
lonewolf

I personally do not like it. So I assume someone in the adcom will not. But I doubt they would put much negative thought on that poster though.

I don't like this "TTT" business, don't think i've ever called any school "TTT".

Zam

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2006, 09:32:50 AM »
I have used it but only in jest..."That is sooo TTT" Hopefully admissions officers recognize sarcasm when they see it   ;)

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2006, 09:37:15 AM »
I have used it but only in jest..."That is sooo TTT" Hopefully admissions officers recognize sarcasm when they see it   ;)

Stick to northern schools and you're fine.  I've actually gotten turned down for jobs I'm extremely qualfied for because of using sarcasm in the deep south.

i know

grrrrrrrrrrrrr

thestradgirl

• where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2006, 09:38:18 AM »
tag

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2006, 09:48:25 AM »
tag

tag, hell, everybody in the world already knows who you are!   :D